Student Visa Paperwork

I can confirm that you do NOT have to leave the country in order to get a student visa after entering on a tourist visa (I think the law was changed several years ago). I did this in 2007 (and I was even part of a program). KatherineAnn- I brought along the letter from the police station and everything but they didn't even use it or ask me for it. When I actually received my visa all I had was my passport and copies and the Buenos Aires police letter. That could be due to the fact that I was part of a program, but who knows. Certainly, the letter from your local station and the apostille authentication will work.

steveinbsas said:
KathrineAnn,

Do not go to Tucuman 1333 for this service.

steveinbsas - any particular reason not to go to the location on Tucuman? I have everything I need thanks to your very specific details. Thanks!

Popper said:
steveinbsas - any particular reason not to go to the location on Tucuman? I have everything I need thanks to your very specific details. Thanks!

I went to the one on Tucuman & didn't have a problem.

Due to the queues, the office on Tucuman recently stopped doing any antecedentes for extranjeros. Im not 100% sure if it was all extranjeros or only non mercosur people. My US colleague went TODAY to get her antecedente at immigration. She had an appointment and was in and out in 2hours... not too bad by their standards!

I would just like to update this topic, in case anyone else is interested in getting a student visa as a FORMAL STUDENT (in other words, the entire degree, NOT an exchange program abroad) - you DO need your FBI nationwide criminal check (fingerprints and the whole shebang) in order to get your student visa. I think this may be something implemented recently, because the international office at my university seemed very surprised about this when we tried to get our visas and were rejected.

Again, this is for formal students only, not for semester/year abroad students.

Suerte, this is Argentina :)

erindanelle said:
Due to the queues, the office on Tucuman recently stopped doing any antecedentes for extranjeros.

that's amazing. is this recent? I went twice (in Oct & Nov, don't ask why. that's a long story. :D) and there was NO ONE there. no one. not one person before nor after me.

KatharineAnn said:
I would just like to update this topic, in case anyone else is interested in getting a student visa as a FORMAL STUDENT (in other words, the entire degree, NOT an exchange program abroad) - you DO need your FBI nationwide criminal check (fingerprints and the whole shebang) in order to get your student visa. I think this may be something implemented recently, because the international office at my university seemed very surprised about this when we tried to get our visas and were rejected.

Again, this is for formal students only, not for semester/year abroad students.

Suerte, this is Argentina :)

Hmm, I applied for a student visa in 2007 (i went to study for a semester) and only needed the carencia de penales antecedentes in Argentina. If I would've applied for a student visa that lasted for more than 6 months I would've needed the carencia de penales antecedente in Holland as well (Translated, apostillated etc.)

Does anyone know for certain that Piedras 115 does NOT accept the 24-hour form? I paid for 24 hour and am going in an hour. I guess I'll figure it out. Will update later.

Update:
I got to the Tucuman office around 9:40 and walked out of the door before 10:00. After the initial confusion of lines and overall chaos, I found the "Identification" desk and walked up. There is a line for Argentinos and one for extranjeros and I showed my paid receipt from Banco de la Nacion (for the 24hr turn-around) and passport photocopy. They stapled a sheet of paper and number to my receipts which I had to fill out (not sure why as it was essentially the same info from the link on their website that I had already printed) but I filled out and then asked what line I needed to stand in. The woman pointed me to the front of a line and I was the second to go. There were several lines (some very long) and this one didn't indicate extranjeros, but it was empty and I went straight through.

Defenitely follow steveinbsas advice about printing and paying before you go - but you CAN go to Tucuman without a problem.

suerte.

For me the student visa was 300 pesos per 6 months, so it depends on how long youre planning to stay. I think you can get it for up to 1 year.

mini said:
I went to the one on Tucuman & didn't have a problem.

Yes it is recent. I also did mine there in Feb of this year. It is a recent change as in within the last 3-4 weeks. An Australian colleague went 3 weeks ago to immigration and that was like 2 days after it changed, bad luck for her! Yesterday my US colleague also went, at immigration.

Back