Student Visa Paperwork

erindanelle said:
Yes it is recent. I also did mine there in Feb of this year. It is a recent change as in within the last 3-4 weeks. An Australian colleague went 3 weeks ago to immigration and that was like 2 days after it changed, bad luck for her! Yesterday my US colleague also went, at immigration.

Wait. Are you talking about immigration or getting the carencia de penales antecedente? AFAIK, there is only one place to go for immigrations, down by the Buquebus. The carencia de penales antecedente you can still get at Tucuman. Popper did it today.

mini said:
Wait. Are you talking about immigration or getting the carencia de penales antecedente? AFAIK, there is only one place to go for immigrations, down by the Buquebus. The carencia de penales antecedente you can still get at Tucuman. Popper did it today.

ok my bad.. i might be getting confused here! Perhaps the requirements are different for student visas. My colleagues were arranging antecedentes for work visas. Sorry if i've given misleading information!! :eek:

erindanelle said:
ok my bad.. i might be getting confused here! Perhaps the requirements are different for student visas. My colleagues were arranging antecedentes for work visas. Sorry if i've given misleading information!! :eek:

Hum... confusing!! :) If you are talking about antecidentes papers, then it doesn't matter which visa you are getting. The antecidentes paper work which you will then bring to the immigrations can be done at Tucuman as well. I can't imagine why it would be different based on the visa type you are getting. But.... um..... here I guess one never knows!! :eek:

mini said:
Hum... confusing!! :) If you are talking about antecidentes papers, then it doesn't matter which visa you are getting. The antecidentes paper work which you will then bring to the immigrations can be done at Tucuman as well. I can't imagine why it would be different based on the visa type you are getting. But.... um..... here I guess one never knows!! :eek:

yeah that's what I thought hence I put my 2c in. Sounds like its a case of try on the day and see how it goes! Maybe if there are not so many people in Tucuman they will do it either way. However por las dudas, you can also make an appointment and go to the warm and friendly immigration office and also get it done there. :p

I believe that where it says you must return to your country to get the student visa is not updated, because the student visa is currently obtained while in Argentina and not in the Argentine consulate of your native country.

Also I might add that it is possible to study in the National Universities for free even if you´re a foreigner without getting a ´cupo´ (which is what is competetive). You can sign up directly to the university in the same inscription period as argentines. Unfortunately this requires legalizing your high school degree, which can only be done after taking 6 exams on ´formacion nacional´, basically 6 subjects from High School in Argentina. Few people are crazy enough to attempt such a thing :)
So if you don't take the tests, you can apply using a CUPO,. and if you don't want to risk not receiving a cupo, then you can apply but take the tests?

Back