Student visa query/UK police certificate

elvirapink

Registered
Hello all,

I have been lurking around the site for a while, and have found it very useful and entertaining so thanks!

I have a general question and one that's specific to UK residents, both related to visas. I haven't seen an answer to these specific questions in the archives, so if anyone can help, that would be great! If not I suppose I will have to consult a lawyer.

Firstly, I have enrolled in a 2-year part time course, and the administrator of the course is not sure if students of the course are eligible for a student visa. I can't see any specific requirements on the migraciones website, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Secondly, if I am eligible for a student visa then I will need 2 proofs of address to get my UK police certificate. As I have been living in Chile until recently, could I use my Chile address to obtain it (they need to be dated within the past 6 months for UK police requirements)?

Does the certificate say your current address on it, and if it does, does it need to be in Argentina? As I don't currently have a visa I can't think of any way to get 2 valid proofs of address at my current Argentine address.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who has any tips.

They seem to have recently revamped the site of the Argentine Embassy in London and it's taking a while for me to get used to getting around it again however I think you will find what you need to know here: http://www.clond.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/2425 The key passage about police certificates (about half way down) reads: Certificate of Criminal Records from any country where the applicant has lived during the last three years, for longer than 12 months. You don't say how long ago you left the UK nor how long you were living in Chile so it's possible that you need a certificate from Chile as well as or instead of one from the UK

side note: If you are getting a scottish discolusre ceryficate as your "criminal records" evidence (as many people do) make sure you e-mail them and ask for it to be SIGNED, as it does not come signed by default.

Hi. I did this recently. Its a pain, but they are a little bit more flexible than they claim on their website. Do you have anything which states your current address? Rental contract? Any bills in your name at all? You should be able to complete the request using a rental contract and a certificado de domicilio (can be arranged at your local police station). Give the subject access request people a call, the people manning the phones are fairly helpful.

Just give them a call, they'll work something out based on what you can get them. Then once you get the data request back, you'll need to send it to the FCO and have it apostilled. Factor in a couple of months to get it all done.

Thanks everyone for the input.

jp - I don't have anything at all with my address on it, not even a rental contract. I was really wondering whether the police cert shows on it your current address, and whether it needs to be an argentina address, because I already have 2 proofs of address from Chile.

elhombresinnombre - I left the UK in Nov 2008 but as I didn't get a Chilean visa until July 2010 I suppose I was still "technically" living in the UK and would therefore need to get both police certs - what do you think?

Thanks again!

Might be worth going with your chilean addresses in that case. But I'd definitely put in a call to the helpline, they'll be able to confirm what you need to do.

Back