Student Visa to Argentine Citizenship

Well, indeed, I wish to get citizenship. That's my top priority. So, I am not at all considering permanent residency. Further, learning Spanish is like a means to an end. Although I have enjoyed learning languages, I wouldn't mind if I could get citizenship without learning Spanish.

If all you want is citizenship and you don't want to be a "real" student, perhaps you can do whatever it was that SecretShopper did, but I don't recall that he ever indicated where he enrolled or for what course of study.

His temporary residency and DNI were real, but, based on his own posts, it would be accurate to call him a "fake" student.

I am not able to find Secret Shopper's posts.

There is no space in his user name.

It is worth noting that SecretShopper claimed he was able to renew his student visa...even though he apparently did not "attend" classes (which may have been online).
Regarding the student visa, how about this scenario: Let's say I get a student visa for 4-5 months starting from January 2024, and then get DNI and temporary residence. I don't continue on student visa from May/June 2024 (for whatever reasons), and just overstay for the rest of the year 2024, pay fine for overstaying. Repeat the cycle -- get a new student visa starting from January 2025 for 4-5 months, temporary residence, again overstay, and pay the fine. Basically, by January 2026, I'd be 2 years in Argentina. Can I apply for citizenship in January 2026?

Assumng that your plan to be a student for less than six months of the year will not result in getting a DNI, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you enter Argentina with a 90 day tourist permit...

...provided you are willing to pay a lawyer at least $6000 to get the ball rolling.

You can stay without an overstay for six months without leaving the country, perhaps seven or eight months if you visit a bordering country before the prorroga expires, but I wouldn't try that close to the end of the extension, if ever.

The lawyer who specializes in citizenship will be able to tell you exactly what you should do. It might cost $50 USD for the consultation, but it's probably worth it to get the advice from someone with a professional track record.

If I remember correctly, that lawyer (who frequently posts here) has indicated that staying it the country for at least seven months of each of the two years after the first entry would be sufficient to meet the "residency" requiremet.

Also, your lawyer would be able to get you back into the country if you leave and are denied reentry (for any reason) while waiting for your citizenship case to finish.

Basically, by January 2026, I'd be 2 years in Argentina. Can I apply for citizenship in January 2026?

By January of 2026 a lot is likely to change, even if the requisites for temporary residency and citizenship in Argentina stay the same.

I suggest everyone (whether or not they desire Argentine citiznship) get where they want to be asap and be willing and able to stay there for the next two or thee years (if not indefinitely)....while they still have the chance to make that decision for themselves.

I will explain why I think Argentina is a good choice (and still the best for me) in my next post. 🤠

Last edited:
If all you want is citizenship and you don't want to be a "real" student, perhaps you can do whatever it was that SecretShopper did, but I don't recall that he ever indicated where he enrolled or for what course of study.

His temporary residency and DNI were real, but, based on his own posts, it would be accurate to call him a "fake" student.

There is no space in his user name.

It is worth noting that SecretShopper claimed he was able to renew his student visa...even though he apparently did not "attend" classes (which may have been online).

Assumng that your plan to be a student for less than six months of the year will not result in getting a DNI, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you enter Argentina with a 90 day tourist permit...

...provided you are willing to pay a lawyer at least $6000 to get the ball rolling.

You can stay without an overstay for six months without leaving the country, perhaps seven or eight months if you visit a bordering country before the prorroga expires, but I wouldn't try that close to the end of the extension, if ever.

The lawyer who specializes in citizenship will be able to tell you exactly what you should do. It might cost $50 USD for the consultation, but it's probably worth it to get the advice from someone with a professional track record.

If I remember correctly, that lawyer (who frequently posts here) has indicated that staying it the country for at least seven months of each of the two years after the first entry would be sufficient to meet the "residency" requiremet.

Also, your lawyer would be able to get you back into the country if you leave and are denied reentry (for any reason) while waiting for your citizenship case to finish.

By January of 2026 a lot is likely to change, even if the requisites for temporary residency and citizenship in Argentina stay the same.

I suggest everyone (whether or not they desire Argentine citiznship) get where they want to be asap and be willing and able to stay there for the next two or thee years (if not indefinitely)....while they still have the chance to make that decision for themselves.

I will explain why I think Argentina is a good choice (and still the best for me) in my next post. 🤠
Thank you very much. I am going through the link.

I wonder if someone has tried applying for Argentine citizenship right after landing on a tourist visa and eventually secured the citizenship.

The official link of Ar Government seems to suggest a 2 year mandatory residence requirement. Not sure if the time of staying under extended/overstayed tourist visa will count for the 2 year residency requirement.

You really need to read the threads on Citizenship that others have pointed to. The answers are all there. Particularly the part about whether the two years is really necessary in order to start a citizenship process.

And to read more carefully what we are putting in this thread. For example when you write "Let's say I get a student visa for 4-5 months starting from January 2024, and then get DNI and temporary residence" that shows you've missed the point in one of the earlier posts: there is no student visa as such, let alone one for 4-5 months, that precedes a DNI that precedes the temporary residency. To repeat, you enroll in your course, with this documentation you apply for temporary residency (as a student) for 12 months. If they grant you temporary residency as a student, they automatically also issue you with your DNI.

But really, if citizenship is your goal, talk to the immigration lawyer you are seeking in your separate thread. He or she can review your situation and recommend a pathway to citizenship; that pathway might not even include enrolling in a course and starting the journey as a student.

I wonder if someone has tried applying for Argentine citizenship right after landing on a tourist visa and eventually secured the citizenship.
Yes, but you can't do it on your own without a DNI.

You can apply for citizenship with the services of the Argentine citizenship (not immigration) laywer.

Perhaps there are other lawyers who can apply for citizenship for you without the DNI, but he is the lawyer who developed the strategy to do it

One "immigration lawyer" in this forum challenged his strategy to obtain citizenship without the DNI, but it obviouly had no effect on it.

The official link of Ar Government seems to suggest a 2 year mandatory residence requirement. Not sure if the time of staying under extended/overstayed tourist visa will count for the 2 year residency requirement.
The two year "residency" requirement for citizenship is based on your physical presence in Argentina, not you status with Argentine migraciones. The court will check with migraciones to see the date you enterd the country to start the two years.

The good news is that the two years of "residency" do not have to be continuous.

He stated that seven months of each of the first two years should suffice and the even better news is that as soon as you apply for citizenship, you don't have to worry about not being allowed to reenter if you leave the country and return after an overstay,..

..but it would be wise to make sure he knows about your travel plans in advance in case there is a "glitch" with migraciones at the airport.

Student is not the way for citizenship. To libe here without a visa is.

Apparently, in case someone applies for citizenship after 2 years of residency, he needs to have a means of earning money. Basically, a person has to show a means of living, i.e. a source of money for a decent living. That's not possible/allowed/legal while she/he is still a student. That is to say, a person can stay on a work/student visa for a while, however, while applying for citizenship after 2 years of stay, he should show a credible source of income.

Of course, according to your various posts, this whole drama can be avoided if someone is looking for ASAP citizenship. It seems that it is very much possible to apply for the citizenship right after landing in ARG on a tourist visa, that too without DNI. Once the citizenship application is filed in a federal court with the help of a lawyer, the foreigner can't be deported (similar to a new born baby on Argentine soil who is still waiting to get a an ARG passport). And as long as he stays about 7 months each of the two years after the citizenship application after landing on a tourist visa, he will be able to gain ARG citizenship. Please correct me if I get something wrong here.

A few questions:
  1. What kind of "document" or "certificate" is given to the person who applies for citizenship after landing in ARG on a tourist visa?
  2. Can he use that document as a proof (similar to a visa) to enter/leave Argentina visa free (especially, if the applicant's is not from a visa free/visa on arrival country)?
  3. Will this document be recognize outside Argentina, especially in South American countries?
  4. Can you point to a person/thread on this forum who has used this method successfully -- applying for citizenship on a tourist visa, and securing the Argentine passport?

Thanks

You really need to read the threads on Citizenship that others have pointed to. The answers are all there. Particularly the part about whether the two years is really necessary in order to start a citizenship process.

And to read more carefully what we are putting in this thread. For example when you write "Let's say I get a student visa for 4-5 months starting from January 2024, and then get DNI and temporary residence" that shows you've missed the point in one of the earlier posts: there is no student visa as such, let alone one for 4-5 months, that precedes a DNI that precedes the temporary residency. To repeat, you enroll in your course, with this documentation you apply for temporary residency (as a student) for 12 months. If they grant you temporary residency as a student, they automatically also issue you with your DNI.

But really, if citizenship is your goal, talk to the immigration lawyer you are seeking in your separate thread. He or she can review your situation and recommend a pathway to citizenship; that pathway might not even include enrolling in a course and starting the journey as a student.
Thanks, you are very informative. Really appreciate.

I have given up the idea of student visa. :)

I am looking for examples of people who landed on tourist visas and eventually secured Argentine citizenship.

I am gonna burst your bubble and let you know what you are trying to do would be an expensive and long uphill battle with a very very small chance of succeeding. It's a slow and at times painful process even when you have met all the requirements, let alone when you have nothing. Sorry but someone needs to clip your wings before you fly to close to the sun.

Yes, but you can't do it on your own without a DNI.

You can apply for citizenship with the services of the Argentine citizenship (not immigration) laywer.

Perhaps there are other lawyers who can apply for citizenship for you without the DNI, but he is the lawyer who developed the strategy to do it

One "immigration lawyer" in this forum challenged his strategy to obtain citizenship without the DNI, but it obviouly had no effect on it.

The two year "residency" requirement for citizenship is based on your physical presence in Argentina, not you status with Argentine migraciones. The court will check with migraciones to see the date you enterd the country to start the two years.

The good news is that the two years of "residency" do not have to be continuous.

He stated that seven months of each of the first two years should suffice and the even better news is that as soon as you apply for citizenship, you don't have to worry about not being allowed to reenter if you leave the country and return after an overstay,..

..but it would be wise to make sure he knows about your travel plans in advance in case there is a "glitch" with migraciones at the airport.

PS: I have never used the services of Dr. Rubliar and I do not receive any payment for mentioning him here.
Continuos means you can travel. I said they are not uninterrupted, that means you cannot travel.
You can apply for citizenship the day after you arrive. This is specially true if you are citizen of a NATO country or Russia.

Continuos means you can travel. I said they are not uninterrupted, that means you cannot travel.
In English the word "continuous" actually means uninterrupted:

WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2023
con•tin•u•ous /kənˈtɪnyuəs/ adj.
  1. uninterrupted in time;
    without stopping:[before a noun]continuous noise during the movie.
Source: my brain (without looking up the word "continuous" in a dictionary before I made the post) and

If your intention is to become a citizen... i think you enter on a tourist visa... If you're European or white looking, should be pretty easy.

I think at that point you quote article 25 of the constitution and get to work meeting all the documentation required.

Article 25: The Federal Government will encourage European immigration; and will not restrict, limit, nor tax the entry of any foreigner into the territory of Argentina who comes with the goal of working the land, bettering industry, or introducing or teaching sciences or the arts.

Hardest step is to prove your income... Maybe you can tutor some kids in Art or guitar lessons or computer programming? Get enough receipts from your students :cool: to support yourself and pay your fair share on the income and start proving your not just living in Argentina without paying taxes on anything.

Process can be started before 2 years and will take 2 years to complete (They'll time it). I will recommend you hire an attorney who knows how this works. I don't think its "hard" per say but requires specialized knowledge (law), language skills (spanish), and cultural knowledge (lol argentine bureaucracy). While in process you'll be given a temporary status. The argentine government works in strange and mysterious ways so you'll need to be patient.

I'm not a lawyer and but hey, i think its possible based on my literal interpretation of the constitution.

But i'll end with this: Argentina is a wild rollercoaster. If you're here to stay, buckle up buttercup, things can be a bit "fun" and "exciting". But the beef is good, the wine is nice, the spanish is fun, and its certainly a change of pace from anything i personally experienced. Do bring lots of dollars tho.

Back