Studying as an electrician

jago25_98

Registered
I'd like to study to be an electrician and I'm going to be in BA at some point.

My Spanish is not so good but I'm doing this for my own interest more than to pass an exam. I just want to try.

Bearing in mind I'm looking for hands-on practical approach what would be the way to go about it? Do they have colleges here in BA covering this? How are the fees without a DNI?

This is the last place on earth I would want to learn a trade to be honest, The electricians that I have had in my apartment contracted by the administration of the building have been hacks.

Good luck though.

I'm not surprised!

I looked it up and all I'm getting is a 6 year (!) course for electrical engineering. This seems to be the way here. In the same way as in the UK the course length is seen somehow as a sign of the quality of the course. So it just gets extended and extended when in actuality all it is is a artifical protection around wages to prevent people from qualifying which has the effect of a dead weight on the economy.

I'm now looking for short intensive courses to do while visiting places like the UK. I bet there's probably cheaper courses in places like India of similar quality. I don't rate distance learning but I guess it could be an option.

I think really I need to speak to a local. Expats here see things a certain way.

Here being a licensed electrician (matriculado, as it's called here) can be very lucrative. You will spend most of your time fixing other "electricians" shoddy work. I had a very good electrician for a few years, that did great work in my business and I recommended him to everyone. He was an older man in his 60s, italian - argentine, funny, friendly, UNTIL, I moved to this apartment, which needed everything re-done. I hired him to do a lot of the work, we agreed on a price, I paid him half of the money upfront, and what did he do? He came to work a few days, did some minor work and then refused to come back, and kept my money. Lesson learned - never pay people any sums of money up front. Create a payment schedule that is tied to work completed, not days worked. Unfortunately this is common here, but fortunately it's only happened to me once.

jago25_98 said:
I'm now looking for short intensive courses to do while visiting places like the UK. I bet there's probably cheaper courses in places like India of similar quality. I don't rate distance learning but I guess it could be an option.

Uh, I don't know if you've had experiences with Indian electricians but I'd suggest you stay away from their schools. Its a nightmare dealing with them but it crosses the line a little when you have to tell them that it ain't working because a wire, right in front of their eyes, is disconnected!!

Also, banging on your dishwasher, according to them, fixes the electrical wiring inside.

Personal recommendation is the only way.
In our family there are two architects who work with leckies and plumbers every day and we always use them.

May not be what you are looking for, but CICA-SICA ( the film union´s school) offers a course on being a film set electrician. They charge more if you are a foreigner, but no DNI needed. I took the class, learned a lot about electricity (probably basic for you) but very practical, and it ain´t a bad line of work if you don´t mind lifting (here set electicians often do what would be the grip´s job in the US).

Becoming an electrician involves an apprenticeship of several years that starts with lots of grunt work in addition to classes. It's a good trade but you are better off learning in your country of origin.

Back