$$ suggestions for graduation present

BA Barrio Busquador

Registered
Hola

We will be attending a graduation dinner (grade 12) out of BsAs for our nephew and would like to give him some cash - but not sure what would be a reasonable amount (we live in Oz). We don't want to give an amount that might seem over the top, or under the top also, nor do the wrong thing by his parents... What might be a fair and reasonable amount for an 18 year old boy finishing school?

Also, any suggestions for presents for mother-in-law that might be nice from Australia - things are I imagine are relatively cheaper here than there (income versus purchasing power) - it will be my first meeting of the MIL so I want something nice and a bit special. At this stage I'm thinking Ugg boots (not particularly nice or special but no doubt very practical in Tandil in winter...). Perhaps some "products" (e.g. L'Occitane or similar??? - is that expensive there??) I will welcome suggestions!

Thanks!

one thousand dollars is perfect.as for the mother in law,hmmmmm.I bought mine a new belt-the vacuum works perfectly now......

Whenever I return from a visit to Europe, I always bring my MIL either perfume or "products" - Decent bath products are almost non-existent here and most perfumes (nice brands) are about twice the price.

You can buy Occitane here but it is horrendously expensive so that would be a good choice, but I'd suggest anything really...even bodyshop products or in the UK, Boots do some really nice ranges - and it will all be far better than the rubbish you pick up in the pharmacies here so I'm sure she will really appreciate it.

As for money, I have no idea what would be a reasonable amount. 1000 dollars seems ludicrous to me for a high-school graduation though and I've never heard of graduation gifts being a particularly big thing here.
I think that if you are thinking of spending any kind of money on him (300-1000 dollars), you'd score more points getting him an Ipod or Iphone or a netbook...something like that... Again, those things are so much more expensive here so he'd end up getting a better gift if you bought it for him in Aus, rather than giving him the cash to spend here...

I'm taking the $1K recommedation as a typo :D

Thanks Ashley good suggestions, I had thought about the ipod idea - I saw on this forum that someone had got one for free when they purchased somethingoranother in BsAs, so I thought perhaps they weren't such a covetable item... - will check out if he has one. Products for the MIL sounds like the go - thanks!

Has anyone a suggestion for a graduation gift for a University Graduate? We want to give money but are not sure about the amount in pesos that would be proper.

i would say: 200 dollars for the highschool graduation.
l'occitane for the mother in law (definitely NOT uggs. women here usually hate them especially older ones)
university graduate, if youre gonna give money first make sure if the person works and around how much they make. depending on whee you are and how muc you wanna spend an ipad would be a perfect present.

At least three of my argentine friends got, upon university graduation, round trip tickets to europe to go backpacking. I don't know if that's more than what you're looking to spend, but it seems commonish.

PhilipDT said:
At least three of my argentine friends got, upon university graduation, round trip tickets to europe to go backpacking. I don't know if that's more than what you're looking to spend, but it seems commonish.

Surely that sort of gift comes from Mum & Dad / Uncles and Aunts can give something a little more modest:)

If he's a well-raised boy, what he will appreciate the most will be your presence. Money would never be offensive, and any amount would be the right one. If you're still in Australia, and if I may be so bold, I'd suggest bringing him something distinctively Australian that would make a good memory keepsake, together with any amount of money you'd consider right.

I hope it will be something to remember.

Back