suggestions for midweek excursions from BsAs?

Sanda

Registered
I'd relish counsel about wonderful midweek trips from BsAs that are affordable
(don't need to be super-cheap, but not prohibitively pricey either), doable in
just a few days (extensive bus travel may be too much in a short time), and that provide an interesting contrast to Buenos Aires.

The context is that I have dear friends coming to visit me and the city from NYC next week and I want them to have a very special experience, in and beyond BsAs (they've expressed desire for us to spend a few days elsewhere.) As a newcomer myself, I haven't yet traveled beyond BsAs (so much to do of here!) and while there is a ton of information about places to travel online, I'm struggling to sort through it and make the most strategic choices.

Recognizing that travel is subjective, and there are so many different options,
I would relish road-tested choices from folks. Iguazu Falls, Mendoza, and Cordoba are seeming like the top options at this point, though
flights to the first two are pricey--an overnight bus seems like the best
options for Cordoba, but I wonder whether it "too similar" to BsAs in being a
big city. Iguazu does seem the most special, and like something that could be done in a few days as opposed to more spread out Salta, but it may be too much.

Also, does the Aeroparque being closed make air travel less desirable/affordable and would we be wiser to only consider bus travel?

Insights from those who have done similarly abbreviated trips would
be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks! Sanda

Taxi boats that go from Tigre through Entre Rios are fun. I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that some of these boats will take you all the way to a hotel.

Iguazu is a perfect place to escape and generate some wonderful memories while passing a couple of nights. I wouldn't recommend spending less than 5 nights up in Salta (highly recommmended, but you shouldn't rush it), and Iguazú really is a "must see" as long as you're in this part of the world. Plus, it's just starting to get warm so it'll be nice but not HOT there. Take the overnight bus with the chairs that fully extend to a plank so you can sleep (it's been awhile, I think they're the ejecutivo, but the bus website will have images). Cordoba is... well, it's a city. It's nice, but in my opinion it's nothing truly special and in addition to explore the region and see the lakes you'd definitely need to rent a car. My vote if you just are spending a couple of days is definitely Iguazu!

I am in the same situation, but really just would like a "day trip" early morning and back by night (maybe some nice restaurant on a hill outside the City or something.) Family/baby friendly would be great.

So far only been as far as San Isidro but a friend is coming next week and want to do something other than the City.

A&A, if you just want to do a day trip go up to Tigre and take a tour on the delta, have a picnic, etc. Very nice place to spend a day!

Reactions: A&A
MizzMarr said:
A&A, if you just want to do a day trip go up to Tigre and take a tour on the delta, have a picnic, etc. Very nice place to spend a day!

Agreed...this is singularly the most popular of all the excursions I foist upon my helpless guests and they love it..and no car is needed since taking the train de la costa also adds tothe experience. El gato blanco is a great place for lunch on the river..http://www.elgatoblanco.com.ar
Ask for a table on the veranda and sip a cool beer as you want the rich park their large launches for lunch. a must do!

Everyone says Iguazu is "must-see," but that really depends on who you are. It's like going to a theme park rather than being outdoors in nature. So if you don't mind a massive amount of people, then you'll probably love it. You can't go with the expectations to really be outdoors and go on some real hikes though because really outdoorsy people tend to be disappointed with it. Some people will even tell you you need to spend more than a day in the park, but the entire park (including the one trail that felt like a hiking trail) can be covered with time to spare in one day. Maybe you would need more time if you went during peak season (in which case you probably wouldn't be able to move because of the crowds).

If you have only one day, Tigre (as others mentioned), San Antonio de Areco, or Colonia or Carmelo Uruguay are good. If you have 2 days, Rosario, Mar Del Plata, or Montevideo Uruguay are fine. 3 Days is enough to do Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes, Iguazu, or work your way up to some beaches in Uruguay...

For what it's worth when I went to Iguazú there weren't very many people there. it isn't "real" outdoors as the landscaping and trails cater to the number of people who go there (and are made accessible to both the elderly and children) but for me to see the lizards, snakes, tucans and other exotic birds as well as the falls was well worth a trip. I do agree that one full day should be sufficient (but you may feel rushed), whereas two days in the park are more than enough for a leisurely exploration. Pack a picnic lunch! You do not need more than two days for Iguazú.

I also love Uruguay, and though I don't enjoy Montevideo or Punta del Este (the latter is absolute yuck for me, but it's a matter of personal tastes) there are lots of places off the beaten track worth checking out. The Salto hot springs are fun, for example.

Back