suggestions for midweek excursions from BsAs?

Uruguay beaches, Iguazu, Tigre/Entre Rios are all great trips away from the city.

Also look up estancia stays in deeper into Argentina and Uruguay.

There are several national parks in Buenos Aires province that are more than worth a visit and beach towns like Pinamar and the bays further south are all good destinations.

We've been trying out different 1-3 days trips and have enjoyed Iquazu, which has been well described by others here, though for us 2 days was needed. Can't imagine doing it in one day. I consider that near impossible if you care to see the upper and lower parts of the falls, each of which have their respective charms.

Taking the train to San Isidro and surrounding stations was a nice day trip. There were restaurants and clubs where you can do massive climbing walls, take out kayaks, etc.

Our favorite though, so far, was Cordoba, Uraguay. Take the 1 hour ferry and look forward to a quiet, super charming and authentic experience. Rent a golf cart or a 3 wheel car or something to drive around and see the area a bit. Very, very different experience from the city of BA.

Go to Peninsula Valdez and enjoy the whales - there is nothing like strolling on the beach while enjoying the views of jumping whales in a close distance!! It is amazing! take the overnight buses and find acommodation on the peninsula..it is so cool!

GoodQuestion said:
We've been trying out different 1-3 days trips and have enjoyed Iquazu, which has been well described by others here, though for us 2 days was needed. Can't imagine doing it in one day. I consider that near impossible if you care to see the upper and lower parts of the falls, each of which have their respective charms.

Taking the train to San Isidro and surrounding stations was a nice day trip. There were restaurants and clubs where you can do massive climbing walls, take out kayaks, etc.

Our favorite though, so far, was Cordoba, Uraguay. Take the 1 hour ferry and look forward to a quiet, super charming and authentic experience. Rent a golf cart or a 3 wheel car or something to drive around and see the area a bit. Very, very different experience from the city of BA.

you mean Colonia, in Uruguay and yes this is a very nice alternative

really appreciate all the thoughts you've shared here--super helpful!

thanks to every one for your advice on this front. My friends have decided that they're most interested in 2-3 days in Mendoza midweek, planning to take the overnight bus both ways. Which elicits a new set of questions:
* do people have recommended places to stay, vineyards to see, other things to do?
* what have people's experiences with travel agents been? I've never used one in the US, and tend to be hesitant thinking that they have other agendas and tend to suggest pricier options, but I wonder if they put together good packages for something like this, and if there are any particularly good ones folks have used.

Thanks again for so generously sharing your experiences and insights! Sanda

So many great ideas posted here. I would add that if you chose San Antonio de Areco (not a long bus ride from Retiro Sta.) you could stay overnight in the Pampas and spend a day (or overnight) in an estancia there. Quite a different experience from BsAs and surroundings. And a real taste of Argentina.

Another easy and enjoyable day trip is to the Temaiken zoo, near Escobar. It is a very nice place - clean, well managed and the animals seem well looked after. (Dare I say it, it doesn't seem Argentine at all...!) You can get a bus from Plaza Italia that drops you directly at Temaiken. On a nice day (avoid the really hot ones...) a great day out.

Back