Suggestions on top Univ. in Bs As

JessCarro

Registered
Ok, so I'm dying to get to Buenos Aires. I need to leave NY asap! I'm looking into Universities so I can apply to grad school and I'd like to get a Masters in Journalism. Any recommendations on good school?

Also, does anyone go to UBA? They are so hard to get in touch with?! The link to look at how to apply for a grad degree in Social Siences does not work and when I call the dept or even the main number at the university no one picks up!

If anyone has a better way of contacting them or any suggestions on good universities please let me know. Thanks!

JessCarro said:
Ok, so I'm dying to get to Buenos Aires. I need to leave NY asap! I'm looking into Universities so I can apply to grad school and I'd like to get a Masters in Journalism. Any recommendations on good school?

Also, does anyone go to UBA? They are so hard to get in touch with?! The link to look at how to apply for a grad degree in Social Siences does not work and when I call the dept or even the main number at the university no one picks up!

If anyone has a better way of contacting them or any suggestions on good universities please let me know. Thanks!
Anything at UBA has to be done in person, they are very bureaucratic and unless you are already enrolled they will not even bother replying ( being enrolled doesn´t change this much ). UBA is dark, torn apart and hard to deal with, unless you are up for that ( and lots of fun and really good classes ) you will be better off at some private university.

Argentina's leading newspaper, La Nacion, has a four-year journalism program.

As for universities, apart from the UBA the best one is San Andres, followed by the Universidad Catolica Argentina and El Salvador University. The Universidad de Belgrano is a step below those.

SaraSara said:
Argentina's leading newspaper, La Nacion, has a four-year journalism program.

As for universities, apart from the UBA the best one is San Andres, followed by the Universidad Catolica Argentina and El Salvador University. The Universidad de Belgrano is a step below those.

Isn't UBA considered to be the best? Or am I mistaken?

I Believe that for postgraduate courses in journalism the two most recognised
are at the university of San Andres ( organized by the university with Grupo Clarin) http://www.udesa.edu.ar/Posgrados/P...n-Periodismo?gclid=CMDr3YLx06QCFYjt7Qodwyx2JA
and the University Ditella, organized with La Nacion Newspaper
http://www.utdt.edu/ver_contenido.php?id_contenido=460&id_item_menu=931

Both one year programmes...

Maestria en Periodismo 1 año = 4 trimestres UNIVERSIDAD TORCUATO DI TELLA DEPARTAMENTO DE HISTORIA - CONJUNTAMENTE CON DIARIO LA NACION. (CONSULTAR SEDE)

Maestria en Periodismo (Dedicacion Exclusiva) 1 año UNIVERSIDAD DE SAN ANDRES UNIVERSITA DI BOLOGNA (ITALIA) Y GRUPO CLARIN

katti said:

You're mistaken.

If De Tella has a journalism program I'd go for that. It's a well respected university.

UBA is chaos. If a student is determined s/he can get through it but why bother with all the disorganization, bad facilities etc if you can afford a good private university? Admittedly, in medicine there is not much competition. The Italian Hospital has a medical school, though, which is supposed to be good.

katti said:

Which university is the best depends on which major or maestria programme you want to enroll.

A friend of mine did a maestria at San Andres -- and later did another at UBA -- she said she was surprised to find the bureaucracy at UBA much easier to deal with than San Andres! However it might also have been that after a few years at San Andres she was better prepared to deal with the shenanigans at UBA.

By the way, deadlines for entry to a lot of Maestrias are essentially right now for start in March, and the private schools start asking for their money by December or so to secure your spot. Some schools have a second round of entry in August, but you'll have to do your research quickly, you may end up waiting another year to start a programme (start dates are generally March for beginning of the academic year).

syngirl said:
Which university is the best depends on which major or maestria programme you want to enroll.

A friend of mine did a maestria at San Andres -- and later did another at UBA -- she said she was surprised to find the bureaucracy at UBA much easier to deal with than San Andres! However it might also have been that after a few years at San Andres she was better prepared to deal with the shenanigans at UBA.

You are probably right about that. It's not that I intend to study here, but I heard that UBA had a good reputation (regardless the bad accomodation).

Back