supermarket lines

arlean said:
When I first moved to Palermo I shopped at Carrifor (yep I don't remember how to spell it). Then I read that they are French and I thought why would I want to send my month to France?

Arlean, Carrefour is so not French..the French would turn in their graves to see the state of Carrefour as a supermarket..to me Carrefour is the real "Argentine" experience, dirty shelves, poor selection, slow service...give me local shops any day who are much more French in style re quality of service and boutique nature!

I read the upcoming Disco Madero is going to try a new "express" checkout/delivery where you shop, fill you cart, then hand it off to one of the employees with your customer number. They pack it and deliver it to your home, then charge you at home for it (ie, skip the checkout line completely). Sounds like a good solution. I wonder if any others are doing this already? :rolleyes:

fifs2 said:
Arlean, Carrefour is so not French..the French would turn in their graves to see the state of Carrefour as a supermarket..to me Carrefour is the real "Argentine" experience, dirty shelves, poor selection, slow service...give me local shops any day who are much more French in style re quality of service and boutique nature!

Sorry, but Carrefour belongs to a French conglomerate. The company is so abusive with their suppliers that two people I know refuse to sell through it and sell through Coto and Disco instead. The fact that a foreign company chooses to run such a shoddy operation overseas reflects as badly on the home country as it does on the host country.

South America has long been the dumping ground for shoddy merchandise - when Nestle was barred from selling its tainted baby formula up North it unloaded it all South of the Equator. They simply bought the right government officials in Chile and Peru, and sold their miserable baby formula to unsuspecting parents.

fifs2 said:
arlean said:
When I first moved to Palermo I shopped at Carrifor (yep I don't remember how to spell it). Then I read that they are French and I thought why would I want to send my month to France?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrefour

.... Wal-Mart here is amazingly efficient, BTW.

SaraSara said:
fifs2 said:
Sorry, but Carrefour belongs to a French conglomerate. The company is so abusive with their suppliers that two people I know refuse to sell through it and sell through Coto and Disco instead.

Whilst I know Carrefour is French and I mostly agree with your comments(especially Baby Milk scandal which is well know) I squirm at the sentiment that foreign companies come here to do what they can`t do in their own countries..I guess I`m just sick of hearing it after the Botnia case and imagine the truth (and guilt) is somewhere in the middle as usual.

Disco and the local Coto and Carrefour do that too - you pick the stuff and they deliver it. Even better, you shop online and they deliver.
Coto has courtesy remises for people buying more than two hundred pesos of groceries.

So, there's no need to fume in those long lines.

fifs2 said:
Whilst I know Carrefour is French and I mostly agree with your comments(especially Baby Milk scandal which is well know) I squirm at the sentiment that foreign companies come here to do what they can`t do in their own countries..I guess I`m just sick of hearing it after the Botnia case and imagine the truth (and guilt) is somewhere in the middle as usual.

You are right that it's the fault of both sides: foreign companies dump their defective stuff in countries whose government officials can be bought. It is our fault as much as theirs, for electing such corrupt politicians.

For instance, Botnia built a paper mill which employs the polluting Kraft method, which was banned in Europe even before the plant was okeyed by the local government. The Uruguayans should have insisted that it be built to the use the more modern methods used in Finland, but they didn't.

fifs2 said:
SaraSara said:
fifs2 said:
Sorry, but Carrefour belongs to a French conglomerate. The company is so abusive with their suppliers that two people I know refuse to sell through it and sell through Coto and Disco instead.

Carrefore, Jumbo, Falabella and other foreign owned companies do not come to AR to do things which they can't do at home. They come because locals do not invest in many home grown enterprises that require major capital and there is an opportunity to do business and earn a profit. Where the formula begins to degenerate is local management does not understand or care about doing things in a way that raises the bar and sets higher standards. Jumbo seems intent on raising the bar but their market footprint is rather small compared to Disco, which seems to be on every corner.
Thus Carrefore corporate simply watches the bottomline and and allows the brand to degenerate on a local level. I think if you transported one of these stores back to France it would have zero customers in a week.
Same is true with others like Citi Bank. If you walked into a Citi in the US or Europe and stood in line for an hour and the ATM was empty and the teller snarled at you, would you put up with it?
Unfortunately brands can be left to degenerate at the local level. Conversely, Mickie D, BK and Starbuck do a pretty fair job of delivering on the brand image and the customers expectations.

You are right - both parties are at fault: the corporations for bribing local politicians to unload unsafe products, and the locals for electing such politicians.

The Botnia mill is a case in point. It was built to use the Kraft pulping method, which had been banned in Spain and other countries. It is marginally cheaper than the more advanced, cleaner methods they are forced to use in Finland, so they used it in Fray Bentos. And the local politicians let them get away with that, instead of insisting that it be built to the stricter European specifications.

A few years ago the European Atomic Commission, or whatever its name is, wanted to build a nuclear waste dump outside Puerto Madryn, not two hundred kms. away from the Valdez Peninsula, one of the largest wildlife preserves in Argentina. Luckily the locals got wind of that in time, and there was such a public outcry that the politicians bribed to authorize the dump had to cancel the project.

Corporations are only concerned about the bottom line and making good profits for their shareholders. So they will try to get by investing as little as they can.

More than "their" fault it is our own fault, for electing corrupt politicians who let them dump their shoddy stuff down here, and pollute the air.

PhilipDT said:
I re read your post and as far as I can tell your original post just opines that everything that is wrong here is the fault of Nazi immigration and that foriegners need to respect Argentina more.

I think argentines need to start respecting argentina more.

I absolutely agree that nazi immigration has nothing to do with bad services and Argentines need to respect Argentines first of all and there is a long way ahead....to learn and do the things well, why do we have garbage on the streets..is it because of the nazis..Iam afraid no..it is only our lack of education..another thing we are not the center of the world, we have good things and bad ones..
Reina

Back