supermarket lines

I re read your post and as far as I can tell your original post just opines that everything that is wrong here is the fault of Nazi immigration and that foriegners need to respect Argentina more.

I think argentines need to start respecting argentina more.

There are nuts in every country, and we can certainly grow prize ones.

But Brigadier is right in that many expats are too quick to pass judgment. In my opinion, they can also be very slow to learn about their host country: much easier to criticize an alien culture than to puzzle it out.

Davidglen77 is a shining exception to that - his excellent post about local labor laws may have opened more eyes than citygirl's. The forum could use more posts like that to help people understand the reasons why things are the way they are. It's not always stupidity.

I understand many expats are here to have a good time, and don't want to waste much of it learning about local conditions. But living in a different culture can enrich and widen our perspectives, and it's a pity to waste the opportunity do that.

While in the US I saw many South Americans who shut themselves off from the country, did not make American friends, bought homes in areas where other expats lived, socialized only with other South Americans, went to a private club exclusively for people from international organizations, and did not even learn to speak English well.

After a three-year tour of duty, they returned home as ignorant of life in the US as they left. As I said, a wasted opportunity.

You're so right Sara!
I sold up in the UK to live in Spain back in 2001.
It was quite an experience as by accident I found myself living amongst Brit expats who had no desire to learn the lingo and simply wanted to continue their UK lifestyle in sunnier climes. No integration whatsoever.
Well, good luck to them, but I moved away and found an isolated cottage in the wilderness and got closer to the Spanish that way.
Horses for courses.

I get the feeling I better hurry up and learn Spanish and get ready for a steep learning curve :) lol Still - its all good - I do have one advantage - my lady is Argentine and a teacher (amongst other things) of Spanish - a lot of valid and interesting points - and yes, I have to agree with much of what I have read :) In each of the countries I have lived in I have made an effort to learn the language, to get to know the locals and to try and NOT expect things to be exactly the same as they are at home...

From MY point of view I *don't* want things to be the same as they are here at home (Australia) - I'm one of those strange expats who generally takes the time to try and get to know the locals and their culture and tries (to the extent that its possible) to fit in...

I'm looking forward to next year - yes I'm a bit nervous - yes I am coming down with only a few hours of university teaching actually guaranteed (not even enough to cover my rent) and knowing full well that I will have to spend out of my savings to start as I try to find my feet - but I'm sure as heck going to do my best to make a go of it and I'm also going to try and remember that its unrealistic to expect everything to be the same as it is 'at home' because it is a different country...

Anyway - still a few months to go for me - a lot more preparations to go before I hop on the plane for BA - but I have to admit it this board is an enormously useful source of info for me - one I intend to continue taking advantage of for a while to come :)

John.

John, with your kind of attitude you are likely to do fine in Argentina, or anywhere else in the world.

People who fail are those who whine in front of a locked door without even noticing there's an open window right beside it.

I escaped the US to get away from dreadful supermarkets. I enjoy the relationship I have with the men and women at the local verdureria of fiambreria, etc. If I HAVE to go into the local Disco, i make sure it's not in the evening, when lines are longest. And yes, I think it's because of those stupid credit card discounts. They have to make up for the employee wages! Or Something. Credit card companies are pushing hard to make money and lure people back into the bank trap. Fools! Didn't learn the first time, they will learn again.

I think you are mistaken about the credit card supermarket deals.

They work like this: you pay for your purchase in six monthly installments, in pesos, WITH NO INTEREST. With today's inflation rates, paying in cash is a no-brainer.

Sadly, the deal works only with Argentine-issued credit cards - worse luck for those of us who can't get them.

There's another great deal: on Tuesdays, Coto takes 25% off every purchase made with the right Argentine-issued debit card. My sister has one of them and does the shopping for me whenever I need something expensive like a microwave oven or a printer.

Those Argentine "fools" must be laughing all the way to the bank.

SaraSara said:
I think you are mistaken about the credit card supermarket deals.

They work like this: you pay for your purchase in six monthly installments, in pesos, WITH NO INTEREST. With today's inflation rates, paying in cash is a no-brainer.

Sadly, the deal works only with Argentine-issued credit cards - worse luck for those of us who can't get them.

There's another great deal: on Tuesdays, Coto takes 25% off every purchase made with the right Argentine-issued debit card. My sister has one of them and does the shopping for me.

So, those Argentine "fools" must be laughing all the way to the bank.

This^

25% isn't anything to laugh at.

When I first moved to Palermo I shopped at Carrifor (yep I don't remember how to spell it). Then I read that they are French and I thought why would I want to send my month to France?

I started shopping in local shops and I am SO glad I did. The variety is wonderful, the service is personal and we are now almost friends, I feel more a part of the culture, plus I feel like I am helping Argentina families in my neighborhood. Almost all of my shopping is conviently done right on my block. Once I started looking everything was here. I make a run to Easy now and then and I do go to the Supermercado for soap, etc., but otherwise I shop at home.

SaraSara said:
People who fail are those who whine in front of a locked door without even noticing there's an open window right beside it.

Hahahahaha! Sara, are you in the habit of climbing in an open window when you find the door has been locked???? ;)

Back