Survey - What are the 3 biggest issues you have in BA?

Matt, Glad to hear that it was Don BNS doing much of the talking, also a personal friend. I'd advise you not to visit villas de emergencia or is that part of your job, which is ? which planes do you fly, any charters like me, or are you a pilot ?
later, mark

1) inflation
2) lack of holiday traditions/spirit
3) expat friends always leaving eventually

MiamiExpat said:
1. Inflation!
2. Dog poop.
3. Lack of scotch bonnet peppers in this country.

There is hope! You can find scotch bonnets here, even saw them in Jumbo on the rare occasion...make friends with your local veg guy and tell him what you need so he can get some in...he wont be able to help with poop and inflation but 1/3 ain't bad!

Markgeezer said:
Matt, Glad to hear that it was Don BNS doing much of the talking, also a personal friend. I'd advise you not to visit villas de emergencia or is that part of your job, which is ? which planes do you fly, any charters like me, or are you a pilot ?
later, mark

And el Don likes to talk! Glad to meet a fellow air enthusiast.
I'm flying a Cessna 152, only a couple of hours but already shooting great photos and two landings on freshly mowed grass; easier than driving a hell of a lot more relaxing. I do have years of experience taking off from Meigs Field and landing in O'Hare using the same machine in Flight Simualtor.

I did this in pampas (near Pinamar) and in Uruguay. I'd love to complete 30 hours though.

Have you flown in Argentina/South America? What planes do you fly or used to fly?

PD; i ventured into villa 31 (sheraton retiro to barrio parque) once in plein daylight disguised as a poor evangelical preacher. Did not talk to anyone but knew were the church was just in case. I honestly wanted to see the "vernacular architecture" rather than the people, but also for that feeling of going through the looking glass or into the rabbit hole.
I also peeked into villa rodrigo buena (that is favella porto madero) but had the good sense not to go in. There's a submarine factory and the drydocks nearby, I went to see the huge icebreaker.

disclaimer; do not go into the rabbit hole

It is all a matter of perspective. The biggest issue I experience here is the porteno's inexhaustible supply of self-pity that appears out of the blue to demand air time just when things seem to be working for them. Their continual indignation at almost anything is both tedious and tiring. If we don't respond to complement them on their sincerity and empathize with the situation they become vindictive. They volunteer that this is a serious flaw in the national persona, and then insist that it cannot be changed, so needs another round of self-pity. Sad and frustrating to see a wonderful people and city hosting such a weakness.

Faaaaaa... Matt just read yours.... no I'm not a pilot at all but have flown in many light aircraft in the Falklands, Argentina, Chile, Shetlands, Orkney and Scilly for biological surveys, guiding tour groups and even twitching. Its part of my work, sometimes it scares the shit out of me, especially after the Juan Fernandez sea crash, they pay me to go there, but may have to have a re-think about going back.

''disguised as a ... preacher" so are you.... was gonna so but thought it too obvious. anyway take it easy, mark

Back