Survey - What are the 3 biggest issues you have in BA?

DanM

Registered
All,

I love BA, but I was thinking about this, we all have a different outlook and perspective on the city and how it meets the needs in our lives.

I would really love to hear what people think are their 3 biggest issues/problems with living in BA? It could be something as simple as I cannot get my favourite TV show from back home, or I cannot find my favourite brand of baked beans or whatever, could be that you don't feel safe on public transport, or anything in fact..... would love to hear everyone's responses, even if it is one 1 thing and not 3, or it is 10 things not 3. I just figured the first 3 should be the easy ones to think of.

Thanks to all in advance - look forward to hearing some responses. :)
Dan

1. pollution
2. bad, slow, bureaucratic service in so many shops, institutions, banks, anywhere!
3. porteños: grosso modo porteños don't have a clue about what's going elsewhere but they always have an opinion about everything, usually they're in a bad mood (the "mala onda porteña"), try to rip you off as soon as they know you're not from here and think they may ask prices for rent as if this is a first world city which is certainly not the case.

1) inflation
2) limited job opportunities even in good times
3) Dishonesty of the people and generally poor attitude

1. Inflation
2. Dog Poop everywhere.
3. Government inefficiency and corruption

note re: dishonesty of the people....I have had many more positive experiences than negative ones.

As the above ones, +

1) Dogs poo and people's littering.
2) Broken footpath by lack of maintenance by sheer abandon.
3) Graffiti out of control be political or tagging, notices and advertisements sticked everywhere and anywhere.

...and I could go on, but with those three will be enough for now. :(

1) Inflation
2) The littering - can't stand how people just throw their trash on the street
3) The huge amount of abandoned pets
3a) And the fact that no one spays/neuters their animals

1) Not being able to eat well/take much pleasure in cooking, either because of not being able to get former staples here (hormone-free dairy, nut butter, frozen blueberries, kale), or having to pay an exorbitant price for them (coffee, nuts, fish, imported anything)

2) The lax hygiene standards -- food workers not using gloves and/or showing up visibly sick, people that sneeze/cough without covering their mouths (WHY IS THIS?), restaurant bathrooms with no soap

3) The super-cautious attitude towards security adopted from the locals. Although I'm lucky enough to have not yet been a victim of crime, it's exhausting being suspicious and alert 24/7, and emotionally demoralizing to hear story after story from personal friends about thefts, scams, muggings, even violent home invasions/rape in front of the children

And the inflation, of course, but that's easier for me to cope with because I can control my spending habits accordingly. The issues that are completely out of my control (crime, filth, inefficiency) are the truly frustrating ones.

exhaust fume pollution combined with "canyon" shaped avenues.

noise

smell (particularly between 6 and 8pm, and hey, it's raining! you knwo what that means)

My three main issues

1. Demolition of historic properties for development . ( This is a common problem in Palermo Viejo . The beautiful Club Del Vino on Cabrera and Malabia is slated for demolition . This is a national disgrace).
2. The uneducated porteños with the loud irritating voices. They are always so opiniated and if they are in a bad mood they wish to transfer this energy to you . They are becoming more common.
3. The restaurants that are serving junk food but believe that they are serving gold . The prices do not match the quality of the products nor the attitude of the staff.

Back