Swimming, groceries in Palermo

TedA

Registered
Okay, so far you BA expats have proven to be an absolute goldmine of info and advice, for which I'm quite appreciative. Now, call me greedy, but I'd like a little more, please:

Where in Palermo or nearby can I find 1] a swimming pool -- preferably 20m or more in length -- for one or two good lap workouts, and 2] a supermarket or something approximating one to stock up on a week's worth of groceries?

Thanks!

TA

Palermo is a big neighbourhood.

There is a big, outdoors, clean swimming pool, open 7 days a week, which is also affordable:

nstituto de Natacion y Deportes
Avda. Juan B. Justo 1423
Palermo - Capital Federal - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Telefono: (54 11) 4771-7873 4777-1472
Categorias: Educacion Superior (Terciaria) No Universitaria Privada
Their purpose is to teach to swim teachers, but you can go and swim by yourself.

Disco is a good place to go for weekly supplies, but has the brandname to be the most expensive supermarket, only Jumbo being a little more expensive. There are many Coto and Carrefour supermarkets in Palermo, with variety and better prices. What about the ones run by chinese people, also knowns here as chino?

Keep in mind that the main supermarkets like Disco, Coto and Carrefour have arrangements with local banks and its credit cards, so if you go one day and you have to way long lines to pay, it is because there is a discount going on. Also Disco gives some discount to the jubilados on Wednesdays. These 3 supermarkets deliver the merchandise to your house, but their schedule is very flexible.

For bigger quantities of food, you might try to go to Mercado Central, which is on the way to Ezeiza airport. But you need to own a car or arrange with someone to share the expenses of a car. I read an article that there are buses charter style connecting Palermo to Mercado Central, but not sure about it.

If anyone knows more details about the bus which goes from Palermo to the Mercaado Central, please post it
thanks
Esteban

Sorry, but Disco is a miserable place, and it's kind of a chump move to shop there. Inflated prices, subpar quality, insanely long lines, surly employees. They leave rotting produce on the shelves for days, selling it for 2 or 3 times the price of any verduleria, and you have to go over your receipt with a fine-tooth comb because they'll make a mistake every time (they once charged my GF 20 pesos for a single apple, because some dolt had set the scale to 99.99/kilo instead of 9.99/kilo. We seemed to be the first ones to notice the error, even though it was 9pm... sucks for everyone else that bought apples that day.)

One of the nice things about BA is that some specialty shops still exist, and haven't yet been driven out by huge supermarkets (like in the States.) Buy your produce at the verduleria, bread and facturas at a bakery (I recommend Hausbrot), cheese and fiambres at Valenti or Al Queso Queso, spices and dried fruit at New Garden. Better quality, better prices, nicer employees, and you'll be supporting some local businesses.

starlucia said:
Sorry, but Disco is a miserable place, and it's kind of a chump move to shop there. Inflated prices, subpar quality, insanely long lines, surly employees. They leave rotting produce on the shelves for days, selling it for 2 or 3 times the price of any verduleria, and you have to go over your receipt with a fine-tooth comb because they'll make a mistake every time (they once charged my GF 20 pesos for a single apple, because some dolt had set the scale to 99.99/kilo instead of 9.99/kilo. We seemed to be the first ones to notice the error, even though it was 9pm... sucks for everyone else that bought apples that day.)

One of the nice things about BA is that some specialty shops still exist, and haven't yet been driven out by huge supermarkets (like in the States.) Buy your produce at the verduleria, bread and facturas at a bakery (I recommend Hausbrot), cheese and fiambres at Valenti or Al Queso Queso, spices and dried fruit at New Garden. Better quality, better prices, nicer employees, and you'll be supporting some local businesses.

I hear ya. Pretty much every barrio too you'll find all the specialty shops you need within a few blocks.

Back