Takes one to know one....

This post is the best one yet, I am returning to Belgrano, I was in Baires just a week and watched someone hop off a moto and smash a blacked out windon attempt to grab a purse while the policeman on the left side of the street just watched, later explaining to me he watches that street someone else the center, ex military and not to concerned for my safety, but does everyone just take it and not react? I too am here for a woman, same for those for men I assume, she says tranquila William all day long, fairly hard for me, the Boca-Belgrano futbol game showed me where everyone is as far as complancancy, nevertheless, I suppose two years would drive me insane,Uruguay was much different, for those of you leaving and anyone living in Belgrano, any heads up on what not to do and what to try. Have car, safety concious but seen much worse in this life, any suggestions-----what budget do you leaving suggest or have used---Thanks in advance or as everyone replys here Best Regards, can't help but chuckle, hoo-rah

Gotta love your attitude, I was in capital fed for just a few weeks and saw the, well realised you snooze you lose point of view, could you point out the differences you notice by living, I assume in the Province.Anyway no rose colored glasses here and driving in Argentina teaches you quickly how it really is........:))

zingara said:
hahahaha ... captainmcd:
My parents used to "force" as to go to the Colon theater.
When I arrived at Mitchell I thought: beautiful, peaceful land. After few months and tons of snow and wind I couldn't understand how anyone chose to live there. Earth has a spot that fits just right for each of us. If we are lucky and don't waste too much time complaining we can find it. Again some of us are really lucky that we can chose where we live or don't. Good night and good luck :)

Zingara, don't know if you've heard of the "Diario de un Argentino en Toronto", but I'm sure it will sound familiar for you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Jok4XwMyc

In Argentina you can make it rich when the economy collapses and you have hard cash available. On average, that can happen once a decade !!!

What can I say? The life here is good :) Great local food and booze, some great local people (some are shit but there are some really good ones too) - all you need to do is what I do - stick with the locals, avoid the expats like the plague, continue enjoying the great food and booze and lifestyle and ever increasing network of local friends and try to budget if at all possible and chances are you'll still be here in 10 years from now - assuming the world is ;) lol

citygirl said:
Well, cough-cough, I haven't seen my 20s in a while:eek::D but I do have a few (and by few, I mean 3) close porteña friends. I met each through activities. The first I met through riding horses, the second I met in NY before I moved down here full-time and the third was my Spanish professor.

I have a lot more accquaintances but that's a world apart.

Making friends isn't easy anywhere after college but I do think it's especially challenging here. In most big cities, everyone is transient (ie, not many people actually grew up in NY or Boston or LA - lots moved there after college). So everyone is in a bit of the same boat. Whereas in Cap Fed, I feel like no one ever really leaves so you have social circles formed early that really don't change.

My only recommendation - if you work in an office, it makes it a little bit easier (ie, all my employees go out together after work for after-office). If that's not an option, activities are a good way to meet people. And since you already have a shared interest, it's a good ice-breaker. Yoga, tango, drawing, riding horses, whatever it is.

Thank you for sharing. If I'd had a larger budget over the past couple years I absolutely would have taken a class of some sort to meet people, since indeed it is harder to make friends after college--no matter where you are in the world! I think if I'd known from the beginning just how differently friendships are formed down here I would have had better luck and not gotten my feelings hurt as much by the flaking, etc. I also think the women here chill out and get much less competitive once they're older, so be glad you haven't seen your 20s in a while! (That is probably also universal, but it's on another level here.)

Back