Taking Bicycle On The Airplane.

Its hit and miss so to speak whether your bike will arrive safely or not. Use a plastic bike box. Some airlines hire them out (Airfrance did).

I packed my bike in a cardboard bike box, removed all protusions etc and with so much bubble wrap and duct tape that it was silly. It arrived in Argentina (via Aerolineas) as if they had thrown it direct off the cargo bay on to the runway and then an A380 had landed on it. The frame was warped with a huge dent in the down tube rendering it unrideable. Oh.. and it arrived 3 days late. Maybe this says more about Aerolineas than anything else... How your cat has a safe journey.

I brought my bike to the bile shop and they packed it very well . They charged me US$100. The airline charged me US$100 and it arrived fine. No problems.

How much did you pay for the bike? Personally if I`d bought it here, what with high used prices and inflation you can probably get a lot of your money back on the second hand market.
Then when you get to your destination i`d buy a new one, I dont know where you live but if its N.America, Europe or Asia chances are you`d buy a better bike for half or even a third of the price you would in Argentina.
So its really working out whether its worth the hassle of taking it on the plane.

I don't know if hard-sided bike boxes are available in Argentina. You'll need to do some research for your airline's fee's for bikes, plus the box, and then consider if you don't know how to break a bike down and then assemble it again you'll either need to learn or pay someone to do it for you.

Here is a decent link on bike shipping boxes. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-bike-boxes-and-bike-bags-33421/

How much did you pay for the bike? Personally if I`d bought it here, what with high used prices and inflation you can probably get a lot of your money back on the second hand market.
Then when you get to your destination i`d buy a new one, I dont know where you live but if its N.America, Europe or Asia chances are you`d buy a better bike for half or even a third of the price you would in Argentina.
So its really working out whether its worth the hassle of taking it on the plane.

The bicycle was a gift from a friend, but the it's an Argentine road bike.

I don't know if hard-sided bike boxes are available in Argentina. You'll need to do some research for your airline's fee's for bikes, plus the box, and then consider if you don't know how to break a bike down and then assemble it again you'll either need to learn or pay someone to do it for you.

Here is a decent link on bike shipping boxes. http://www.bikeradar...ike-bags-33421/

Thanks GS_Dirtboy.

This one caught my attention. You couldn't use it anywhere in Buenos Aires except in KDT.

http://bicyclesnyc.com/product/specialized-dolce-elite-compact-womens-130966-1.htm

My cousin bought a bike while in Tokyo and not knowing anything about how to transport it, simply walked into the airport wheeling the bike alongside her. After some giggling from the check-in agents, they helped her pack up the bike and gave her all the materials necessary. She wasn't charged anything and the bike arrived perfectly.

But that's Japan/Europe. US/Argentina is a crapshoot on how they're going to treat your package.

Unless you're sentimentally attached to your bike, it's probably easiest to sell it here and buy a used bike in the US. You can probably get one in good shape for a lot less than $1,000. Although if you like the bike, it might be worth taking with you. I'd pack it in a big cardboard box and hope for the best.

(I've seen plenty of people carrying big screen TVs onto Aerolineas flights... I wonder how those fare...)

Back