Tango Classes, Tango Shoes

Lulu-Kyoko

Registered
I have decided to finally take tango lessons... a friend suggested La Escuela de Tango in Galerias Pacifico because I have a schedule that is all over the place and they have a huge selection of classes, running from 9 AM until 10 PM.

So I bought a pass, but I can't seem to muster up the courage to actually go.

I'm nervous because the tango classes are listed P-I-A (a mix of beginner/intermediate/advanced). And I am an absolute beginner, not to mention a bit shy. Any suggestions? Should I take private lessons to get myself started? Or should I take the "tecnica para mujeres" to start, or should I just jump into it???

I'm also curious as to where the best place to buy tango shoes, at a reasonable price, might be. Preferably Almargo, Recoleta or Centro.

Gracias!

Just go. Tango is really difficult for men, not for women.
However, for starting to dance I recomend El Beso (Riobamba y Corrientes). La Academia de Tango Milongero has an excellent approach for teaching to dance on the dancefloor, I mean, they don t teach bull...t like usually happens. They have clases on Mo-Wed-Fri-Sun at 8 pm.

Forget about private clases, you need miles of dancefloor.
Forget about technique clases for now. When you master the clases, then you try techique.

Lulu-

Bajo knows of what he speaketh.

Before he broke his back and before he sired a child, he was a milonguero. Working on his technique in the late hours of the night/early morning.

The pressure of tango is ~95% on the man. It's frustratingly difficult, but the woman has to just trust the man and let him lead her all over the dance floor. Tango let's a man be a man (or the lead in a relationship be the lead) and a woman be a woman (or the follow in the relationship be a follow). These established roles are very enticing in the mixed-up world that we live in and often results in women from other countries falling in low with the dance and moving here for good.

Suck it up, go to a class, you'll not only be fine, you'll be hooked.

Thank you both for the encouragement! I will go tonight and report back later!

The classes at EAT in the Galeria are great. You should go for it. Everyone is really friendly and encouraging. Just start with the classes for Principiantes. It's good to take Women's Technique at the same time.
I also like Mariposita de San Telmo http://mariposita.com.ar/
My favourite shoes are Comme Il Faut. They're not cheap though, but if you pay in dollars it works out better value. About $850 pesos a pair.
http://www.commeilfaut.com.ar/animacion.php
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Napoleon, I still dance, even my broken spine. I m just learning to dance again because I have a weak leg now and a lot of pain the morning after.
Family, work and healh issues make me dance only once a week. Tonigh is night of El Beso!

Tonight was my first class at the Escuela de Tango in Galerias Pacificos. It was okay... but as I suspected, far too advanced. I really am a beginner! I spent the hour and a half watching the others dance...

They don't have any classes dedicated to the very, very basics so I would not recommend this school for principiantes. The classes are a mix of levels.

Anyway, off to El Beso!

Last year I joined one Baexpats visitor on a Tango shoes quest. He said his research suggested DNI Tango, NeoTango and 2X4 al Pie as best choices. Remember he finally bought his at a store/dance academy in Abasto, Bulnes and Lavalle, Across the street from the Disco supermarket.

Last year I joined one Baexpats visitor on a Tango shoes quest. He said his research suggested DNI Tango, NeoTango and 2X4 al Pie as best choices. Remember he finally bought his at a store/dance academy in Abasto, Bulnes and Lavalle, Across the street from the Disco supermarket.
That's DNI ;) I don't like DNI but their shoes are good.

Back