Tap water doesnt quench thirst

Having lived here for more than twenty years i can say that although the tap water in argentina is relatively safe, i would still avoid drinking it for a number of reasons.

If you live in an apartment your building probably has two water tanks, one in the basement with a pump and one on the roof and while maintence in some buildings is ok i will bet if you asked when the last times those two tanks have been sanitized or tested for safety would receive the answer i dont know.

If you live in a house the odds are the last time anyone ever even looked at your roof tank is the day someone installed it .

so even though the water coming out of the water company is safe your own house or apartment is probably at least one source of conatanimint so if you dont boil the water you receive in your house for human consumption you are asking for trouble. And alway drink bottled water or at least boil the tap water and then put it in fridge to cool

KevinK said:
If you live in an apartment your building probably has two water tanks, one in the basement with a pump and one on the roof and while maintence in some buildings is ok i will bet if you asked when the last times those two tanks have been sanitized or tested for safety would receive the answer i dont know.

Cleaning & Sanitizing an apartments buildings water tank is mandatory once a year in the city of Buenos Aires. I believe they just did ours a month ago.

Just read this and I have the same experience with pizza, no matter how many I eat here I am still hungry.
Are they safe to eat here or should I boil it first?

Everyone I know drinks tap water with no ill effects whatsoever, as I did for many years. Now I got finicky and use a Brita jar to filter out the chlorine and improve taste. Leaving water in a pan overnight also works, as it lets chlorine evaporate.

Thank you all for the information about tapwater!
Well, I will tell you a story about tapwater and you can do whatever you want with this informtion okay. I started to drink tapwater in Buenos Aires, and slowly I started to get problems with my gumms, it started to irritate and got infected. Then my best friend in Argentina who is a argentinean told me a story about his uncle who lost all his teeth just by drinking tapwater in Argentina..My friend (argentinean) cooks the tapwater before drinking it..And told me to discontinue drinking tapwater..
And when i started with that, my gumms started to get better slowly after a couple of months..It doesn't apply for everybody I guess, but I dont drink tapwater any more..It has a different taste then the tapwater in The Netherlands..And I got serious problems with my mouth because of the water in Argentina..I dont know if you know this, but the tapwater in The Netherlands is one of the best in the world..So maybe my gumms cant handle it, I dont know, but if you wanna be safe, keep this story in mind..If it works for you, keep on drinking:)

Back