Tap Water

betts

Registered
One last question before we leave - is the tap water safe to drink? We lived in Bangkok for several years and used tap water for brushing teeth and cooking. But for drinking water most expats used water delivery service in the big blue 18L bottles used with a water cooler. I found a thread where it was discussed how difficult it was to find water filters but I wasn't sure if it was for the tap directly or for those Britta water filter jugs you put in the fridge.

So tap water safe to drink? Should I bring our Britta water thing with a supply of filters?

i am in and out of argentina from the usa often and i have never had a problem in central ba using the tap water for anything. but cant speak for everyone

Basically, in towns and cities throughout Argentina have very safe municipal water, the standards are quite high. I have discussed this with several national and foreign public hellth experts. The execeptions are small rural areas, and the extreme North (such as many places in the provinces of Jujuy. Corrientes (but not the city), Missiones, Chaco and Formosa).

Many Argentinineans are offended by the question as to whether their water is safe to drink, so be very courteous and apologetic if you ask this question.

The tap water is potable in every place I've visited in Argentina. Perhaps not particularly tasty, but potable.

We have been coming to BA since the early 90's and our relatives that live close to the city have NEVER drank the tap water...they don't even use it for coffee! When I asked about this they said it's not the water so much as the pipes the water travels through...old, some lead, some rusty, just very questionable.

I would bring your Britta and extra filters...or get a kitchen counter model that hooks right to the tap, filters are good for a year or so...bring extra. I checked into this type here and very expensive and only filter chlorine nothing else. The chlorine in the water here is excessive, IMO.

If you color your hair..you will want one for your shower as the chlorine will fade your color quickly!

I am going to have a system sent from the states...tired of buying all the bottled water and no proper way to recycle the pastic bottles really bothers me..but that's another topic!!

Soy de Chester, some of you may know it. Why tell you this, well it is sometimes said that by the time you drink water in Chester it has been through five people. Just look where it comes from in the welsh moutains, through LLangollen, Acrefair (chemical plants) Ruabon, I could go on. Now look at where the water comes from here, if all the people in Buenos Aires left their taps running all day you would not exhaust that supply.
Filter it if you must, but come on, it is safe.

The Argentines I know and who live in the center drink tap water. They are all very healthy.

The most polluted river in all of south america is located right here in ba province and runs alongside the city, according to the arg. Media. There seems to be laws on paper, that are never enforced. All the citys water comes from the river. I wouldnt dip a toe in it or let my children swim in it. Industry seems to get away with anything here and i have no reason to believe the river isnt highly contaminated. I think they need a resevoir or a water source they can keep free of polluting industry.

The most polluted river in all of south america is located right here in ba province and runs alongside the city, according to the arg. Media. There seems to be laws on paper, that are never enforced. All the citys water comes from the river. I wouldnt dip a toe in it or let my children swim in it. Industry seems to get away with anything here and i have no reason to believe the river isnt highly contaminated. I think they need a resevoir or a water source they can keep free of polluting industry.

The Rio de la Plata is very polluted, and the Riachuelo can hardly be called water now a day, is more like a slimey liquid :D.

Nevertheless, you don't drink the water directly from the river, it gets trated in a water tratment plant, hence the funny taste water has in the CF. I've drank tap water all my life and never had a problem.

you can visit www.aysa.com.ar to lear about the procedure.

I've visited BA 5 times and always drank the tap water. I was usually healthier in BA than at home, though the difference might also be due to the wine and steak. Jim M.

Back