Tax Free Shopping

As a follow up on this post, I can tell you that the process was very smooth.
We were not asked to show the purchases that we had made, and all that was required of us was to visit the counter with the correct paperwork. Make sure that you've got the paperwork filled out entirely, because most of the sales people don't fill out all details. This meant that we had to complete the forms at the counter (quite frustrating).
The other piece of advice that I can give is to NOT collect your cash before going through the security screening, as this booth had a HUGE line. We went to the booth near gate 9 and there was not a single person waiting.

Conorworld - I don't believe there is a limit on many purchases and price you can claim back on, but don't quote me on that! :)

it's no work at all, wait in line, give your papers (that you get in the stores) and some time later you get the money through your visa.

BTW I don't think you can receive it in cash. I asked it and they said no, but then I didn't insist.

I don't think there is a limit.

I never had to wait in line very long. It can take a while until you actually receive the money, but I always received it!

The "hardest work" is waiting or the docs in the shops!

I have gotten my tax back in cash as recently as May.
So yes, you can get cash.
I like to have pesos, a couple hundred, in my pocket when I land, for paying remises, buying a first meal, and if the ATM around the corner is mysteriously empty that day.
So I often ask for a cash refund, and always get it.

I have never been asked to show the item, but that doesnt mean they dont ask sometimes- this is Argentina, after all.

I got a bit confused. Please confirm that I got it right, or correct me:
The procedure is:
1.) Booth next to the check-in counters to get a first stamp (basically verification that I am carrying the stuff with me, although they don't always ask to see the goods)
2.) I do the check-in
3.) I pass through security check, get exit stamp in passport
4.) another booth to hand in the paperwork (near gate 9)
5.) proceed to gate/board plane

right?

Your step 4) you can do at a booth that is on the left before the security check. If there is no line at that booth that is the best option, because maybe the booth at gate 9 is closed for no reason.

I work for a leather clothing store that offers tax free refund and your items do not need to be new for you wont have to show em either, you just need to show the signed/stamped check and presto.

If you feel unsure you may take your tickets with you, from purchases you've done, but it doesn't matter in what condition the items are as long as you have the check. If you don't refund your check then the store you bought the item from wont get paid and will be charged with the federal tax as well, which has nothing to do with you but keep in mind when they give you the tax free you are also compromising yourself to get your refund.

It's a pain-free process as time goes as well, because it takes you nearly no time to get the task done.

There's no limit as to how much you can be refunded, since you are asking for your tax back. Why is this? It's because everyone in this country pays for taxes whenever they purchase something, and since you have a foreign passport there's no federal need for you to pay taxes in a foreign country. So this is why there's no limits as to how much you can be refunded.

Hope this info helps.

Can someone please detail the limits of this?

I won't be leaving the country by air for at least 9 months. Is there a deadline?

Can this be done by leaving the country in other forms, such as buquebus to Uruguay?

Thanks!

Back