Tax Issues Coming From Uk To Argentina

gverd

Registered
I've actually been in Argentina as (an expired tourist) on and off for 4 years, and just ignored any tax issues as I am a freelancer with modest income. I reckon pretty soon I'll have residency (probably through employment visa), and what money I have in the UK I want to invest.

The longest period I've been out the country was 2 years though I never declared myself as non-resident to HMRC. Any ideas if I'll already be considered non resident?

Any tips on how investments in the UK will be affected by tax there or here? Any tips on how to reduce tax? Anything I should do while I'm still here in UK? (e.g. Is it worth filling out the P85 form?)

Cheers in advance,
Diego

I've actually been in Argentina as (an expired tourist) on and off for 4 years, and just ignored any tax issues as I am a freelancer with modest income. I reckon pretty soon I'll have residency (probably through employment visa), and what money I have in the UK I want to invest.

The longest period I've been out the country was 2 years though I never declared myself as non-resident to HMRC. Any ideas if I'll already be considered non resident?

Any tips on how investments in the UK will be affected by tax there or here? Any tips on how to reduce tax? Anything I should do while I'm still here in UK? (e.g. Is it worth filling out the P85 form?)

Cheers in advance,
Diego

You definitely need to consult with an accountant. If you find one that deals with expats, please let me know!

Are you paying National Insurance contributions? If you pay taxes in Argentina then you qualify for the lower category 3 (about GBP 2 per week - rather than about GBP 600 a year)

Also if you delcare yourself living overseas then you risk losing NHS benefit...

I was told by an accountant (in UK) that I would be classed as non-resident by HMRC. He had such conviction as he said it, I'm sure he has no idea. From what I've been reading it's complicated & changing all the time.

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about the NHS, I'm so little time in the UK it's not worth my while.

If I find any good accountants will post, though no luck so far.

Back