Taxi fares to raise 26%

Good point Davidglen77, no clobbering on my part.

What I don't get is how these prices can be maintained if they are too expensive for the market they serve. One could argue that taxis are a relative luxury here, but everyone needs to buy food. So if prices for basic items exceed the budget for the average person, what could be going on. I don't have any metrics on wage inflation, but it seems to me that there is raising wages for unions, gov't workers, and white collar workers, but that's about it.

So, the more I think about it, the more it seems to me to be a slow motion inflationary blowout, rather than re-entry into the prices and purchasing power of the Global North (however long the Global North lasts).

Here's the real kicker, anyone noticed the basic cover for night spots went from 30 to 40 pesos? Toy with the pasta price all you want, but leave the beer alone!

hmm... I think I read somewhere that most taxis in the city use GNC. With only newer models running on gasoline (while still under warranty), then converted to a dual systems to run on cheaper GNC.

TheBlackHand said:
Looks like it's time to buy a car.

If your pockets are deep enough, buy a new one.

They may be the best value for the money.

(This may not be true in any other country.)

My lavadero still charges 12 pesos per load. The chinese dude smokes inside the place though.

I guess the higher cost of living (on imports and other goods) does lead to across the board increases in everything.

2GuysInPM said:
hmm... I think I read somewhere that most taxis in the city use GNC. With only newer models running on gasoline (while still under warranty), then converted to a dual systems to run on cheaper GNC.

While that's true that GNC costs about 1/2 the price of gasoline & diesel, it costs about 8,000 pesos to convert the engine to run on both fuels. So it takes almost 2 years to recoup the costs.

El Duderino said:
My lavadero still charges 12 pesos per load. The chinese dude smokes inside the place though.

I was recently in New York and I went to a self serve laundromat. It cost 3.00 U$D for each washer and 3.00 U$D for each dryer with 45 minutes of dry time. Plus $2,00 for a small box of soap powder that was good for 1 wash. So that comes out to the equivalent of 34 pesos, AND I had to do the work myself. To leave the clothes to be washed costs $1.00 per pound.

Still much cheaper here and I know salaries are much lower but most people do their own wash here and dont send it out.

Well I had to stop using lavaderos. The place across from me left tiny holes in everything, but even after switching, my clothes started to fall apart in a short time, god knows what they use, bleach instead of soap powder. I actually once went out in a pair of newly lavadero'd pants only to realise when I took them off that a chunk of fabric had been left threadbare at the seat exposing my underwear to all and sundry!

I asked a taxi chofer about the hikes last night and he said the increase hasn't been approved yet but likely will.. He also mentioned that the cab drivers will get paid the same (?) and the profit from the hikes goes to the 'negocios'.. the drivers don't want the increase because less people will take cabs. Not sure if he was just doing the requisite bs-ing or if this is a common sentiment among cab drivers.

LaurenW said:
I asked a taxi chofer about the hikes last night and he said the increase hasn't been approved yet but likely will.. He also mentioned that the cab drivers will get paid the same (?) and the profit from the hikes goes to the 'negocios'.. the drivers don't want the increase because less people will take cabs. Not sure if he was just doing the requisite bs-ing or if this is a common sentiment among cab drivers.

Probably depends on whether the driver is his own negocio or not, many are here. If on the little placard in the car both names are the same then they are owners and operators, otherwise no.

Back