Taxi Fares - Up 65% in the Past Year

If the prices continue to increase at the same rate, soon the taxis will be more expensive than Paris or London....

Celia said:
If the prices continue to increase at the same rate, soon the taxis will be more expensive than Paris or London....
And if you keep walking in a straight line you will soon fall off the edge of the world...

I find in many categories (clothing, cost of drinks in a bar, the supermarket, obviously anything electronic) - I spend equally as much in dollars as I did in the US.

You are living in Argentina in the local equivalent to living in the Upper West Side. So no,BA is not expensive.If you compare the best area of all with a cheap city in the US,of course you will find BA to be expensive.

Cab fares may be cheaper compared to Paris but most people in Argentina earn Argentine pesos, not euros. As I have said before, many people on this board live in another world of dollar incomes.

@mark - thanks, I'm aware. And in fact did live on the UWS of Manhattan for many years. And no, I'm not comparing it to a small town.

For many, many things, I spend equal or more here than I did in NYC.

Let me explain in another way - I got back from a trip to NYC in July and my suitcase was packed with things I bought there b/c they were much cheaper than buying them here and the quality was much higher (sheets, towels, leather jacket:eek:, summer dresses, coffee maker, ipod, etc).

sergio said:
As I have said before, many people on this board live in another world of dollar incomes.

And the people who have grown accustomed to taking cabs on a regular basis in Buenos Aires don't? I'm not trying to offend anyone but taking a cab is a luxury not a necessity (as it has already been pointed out). It's like "needing" a latte from Starbucks to start your day.

Personally, I don't know anyone from the middle class in the US that takes a taxi cab on a regular or daily basis. They either take public transportation, drive, or catch a lift from a friend. Why would it be any different here?

My sister-in-law flew back to Buenos Aires yesterday. She came here to see her sister and, mainly, to shop. She brought 20K pesos and went a little crazy at the stores. But, if you compare the total price of everything she bought here with the total price of buying it there, she saved enough money to cover the cost of her plane ticket.

It was not like this last time I was in BA. I hope we can make it there when we move back. And no, I'm not talking about being able to shop at Unicenter, etc. I'm simply talking about leading a comfortable existence.

As for cabs, we spent 8 dollars to get a ride from downtown Austin to just north of UT (for those who don't know, that is only 2-3 miles). Would it cost almost 32 pesos to ride 2-3 miles in a cab in BA? I ask because I really don't know.

I'm guesstimating that a 3 mile cab right would run around 23 or 24 pesos so about 6 dollars (I may be off by a peso or two).

LAtoBA said:
And the people who have grown accustomed to taking cabs on a regular basis in Buenos Aires don't? I'm not trying to offend anyone but taking a cab is a luxury not a necessity (as it has already been pointed out). It's like "needing" a latte from Starbucks to start your day.

Personally, I don't know anyone from the middle class in the US that takes a taxi cab on a regular or daily basis. They either take public transportation, drive, or catch a lift from a friend. Why would it be any different here?

I never took cabs in Europe because they were too expensive. But we were able to afford 2 cars which we can't even afford 1 car here. I've said this before, my husband got a promotion! But we do not have the same quality of life, at all.

Back