Taxi increase again

jp said:
Plus the cost of a cab hasn't increased by 400%. Unless everyone is only taking journeys which cost the minimum fare. A taxi ride from one side of the city to the other has gone up by a little over 3 pesos in the last four years. The taxi meter isn't running four times faster.

It used to be something like 10 cents a kilometer, now it's 30 or more, yes it has gone up a lot -- used to cost me 7 pesos to get from Belgrano to Caballito, now it's 23 pesos.

Another great scam - if you're eating at a restaurant and you don't want to pay (maybe you think its overpriced) if you walk out without paying and go home, its a free meal!

Also, on the rare occasions where you feel like paying, you can always refuse to leave a tip. I'm sure you've had bad service in other restaurants which justifies this.

If you nickle and dime every taxi driver and waiter, over the course of a year you'll probably save enough to buy another couple of 30 peso mojitos next time you go to an expat bar.

syngirl said:
It used to be something like 10 cents a kilometer, now it's 30 or more, yes it has gone up a lot -- used to cost me 7 pesos to get from Belgrano to Caballito, now it's 23 pesos.

Yikes. Sorry, stand corrected on that.

In two years I've taken the same journey to work each day and the price hasn't really changed at all. The only factor that makes a noticeable difference is the traffic. Still, even with the price hike, its still dirt cheap.

jp said:
Another great scam - if you're eating at a restaurant and you don't want to pay (maybe you think its overpriced) if you walk out without paying and go home, its a free meal!

Also, on the rare occasions where you feel like paying, you can always refuse to leave a tip. I'm sure you've had bad service in other restaurants which justifies this.

If you nickle and dime every taxi driver and waiter, over the course of a year you'll probably save enough to buy another couple of 30 peso mojitos next time you go to an expat bar.

I always tip my waiters, but I've also worked in the food service industry and have many friends who still do.

Not sure why you are bringing that up, but if that's your MO, you are a bigger prick than I am.

And I don't drink mojitos, I stick to quilmes- draft or bottle.

Any more jabs you want to attempt?

arty said:
Not sure why you are bringing that up, but if that's your MO, you are a bigger prick than I am.

I guess the analogy was lost on you. Also guessing you don't have any friends who work as taxi drivers?

Nobody likes getting ripped off, but there's something frankly disgusting about making a conscious effort to "scam" some of the worst paid people in the city.

jp said:
I guess the analogy was lost on you. Also guessing you don't have any friends who work as taxi drivers?

Nobody likes getting ripped off, but there's something frankly disgusting about making a conscious effort to "scam" some of the worst paid people in the city.

yeah, the analogy was lost b/c it sucked.

and no, none of my friend's drive taxis.

worst paid people in the city?? I think they more than make up for it with all the money they steal from tourists. Did you miss the past posts about how they swap out bills with counterfit ones or tell people their money is counterfit, then take them to atm's and drive off with their luggage??? you can have a pity party for them all day long. hell, maybe you should start a protest and march down nuevo de julio to help them out.

I used to actually tip the cab drivers until I learned my way around the city and realized how much I was being scammed by them.

I don't feel bad for them. The many bad apples ruin it for the bunch.

Justify it any way you want, you rip off taxi drivers because you're cheap and too stupid to realise that a minority don't represent a majority.

jp said:
Justify it any way you want, you rip off taxi drivers because you're cheap and too stupid to realise that a minority don't represent a majority.

Thanks for the permission. I feel so much better now.

And I take it you know the majority of taxi drivers and they are all honest, hard working, honest people??

I'm not cheap and far from stupid, but feel free to insult me. Care to add anything else?

Back