Taxi increase again

Living out in the sticks of Avellaneda I have already become familiar with the taxi's and collectivos of the place. As a typical looking foreigner (without the camera, bum bag, or bulging wallet!), I probably stand out on a collectivo, and I catch them on week days as well. But believe me, take the 33, 24 or 17, and yep, I reckon I am the only "foreigner" on board.

As for taxi's, I worked out the rough rate from the capital back home, and so far, so good, yet to be ripped off. Most taxi drivers I have had have tried to practice their limited English, as I try my limited castellano - we have had a good laugh about football so far (The real one that is played world wide, not that American thingy!).

On Sunday night I took a cab from San Isidro back to Avellaneda, and it cost 80 peso, Its the first time I have done that trip - and belive me it took ages, but come on, 80 pesos is nothing. I can guarantee at home in Ireland a trip of that distance would have been met with a refusal from the driver as it was too far! I lived less than a mile from Dublin City Centre, and it was a ten euro trip to get into town!

Life here is good, as are taxi's and collectivos, and the subte is brill too!

Taxi drivers with their clients in the backseats are different than taxi drivers dealing with everyone outside of their cab.

As I've said before, I've only been screwed 2 or 3 times out of at least hundreds of rides, as a client of taxi drivers. There is a certain honesty to most of them, I completely agree.

However, to those outside of the cab - watchout!

I remember back more than three years ago, when I was still visiting and hadn't moved here permanently yet. I was in a taxi with my girlfriend (who later became my wife :) ). We were on our way to a restaurant to meet my girlfriend's sister.

Sitting at a red light, two high school girls in school uniform were crossing in front of us. They had the misfortune to be in front of the cab when the light turned green. The driver hesitated a moment and when the girls didn't run to get out of his way, he gunned the car, actually hitting one of the girls with his fender. I couldn't believe it. The jackass just kept going, looking back in his rearview mirror, telling us that they deserved it for being in his way when the light turned green. I yelled at the prick to pull over and we got out, intending to go back and see if the girl was alright. He started yelling at me to pay him and I yelled back, telling him to go call the police and we would settle it in front of them (the fare was only a couple of pesos - we'd only gone a couple of blocks). There was no way I was going to pay someone after something like that.

My girlfriend and I went back to the girls, one of whom was sitting on the curb crying, the other bent over her, stroking her hair. We ascertained that she was alright, just stunned and scared.

I've seen taxi drivers speed up when approaching an intersection where the light has just turned green, with people still crossing, when there would have been plenty of time for the people to cross without issue if the driver had been going the same speed. Instead, they have to run.

When driving, I can't count how many times a taxi driver stops basically in the middle of the street to let off or pick up a fare, completely oblivious to the fact that he is blocking the road.

They are mostly very selfish drivers, worse than the normal Argentino driver. They consider the road their office/domain and anyone else, except maybe colectivos, are guests and should look out for them. I don't have much sympathy for them, really.

Back