Taxi increase again

I think Jp is right. That was a valid analogy (although the sarcasm could have been avoided). You would have had another opinion if you did have a friend that was a cab driver. And you can't just rip taxi drivers off because some of them are scum. If you do, then you might as well apply the same principal on waiters.

And the price is a cab fare does not necessarily have to have anything to do with inflation. There are other aspects that comes in to play here. Like gas prices, cab drivers on strike (not sure if that happens here) etc. Personally I think cab fares in this city are very low.

orwellian said:
I think Jp is right. That was a valid analogy (although the sarcasm could have been avoided). You would have had another opinion if you did have a friend that was a cab driver. And you can't just rip taxi drivers off because some of them are scum. If you do, then you might as well apply the same principal on waiters.

And the price is a cab fare does not necessarily have to have anything to do with inflation. There are other aspects that comes in to play here. Like gas prices, cab drivers on strike (not sure if that happens here) etc. Personally I think cab fares in this city are very low.

not ripping off all, just the ones that rip me off. i took a cab today and the guy was direct and i paid him what he was due.

and yes, the cabs are very cheap here. in L.A. it would cost me anywhere from $50-80 one way to get somewhere.

i don't mind paying when I'm not getting screwed, but try to scam me, and I'm gonna scam you.

I wonder if the BA cab drivers have a forum where they discuss the morality of ripping off foreigners?

Anyway, I've been here for a while and never been ripped off by a cabbage. Maybe if you act like you know exactly where you're going (even if you don't), they are less likely to try some funny business. Like when they ask me whether to take one street or another, I always answer straight away instead of umming and ahing, even if I haven't got a clue which way is faster.

Me neither, I have probably taken like a hundred cab rides here already and not been ripped off once.

not that you guys know of. how well do you know the city and the streets? you really think every cabbie has driven the exact, most efficient route?

if so, i have a bridge for sale in brooklyn, decent asking price.

i've never gotten a fake bill, but I've had a couple of gringo tours

About 90% of the time I know the way they should be going, or at least how much it should be in total, and in those cases, I can pretty confidently say I've never been taken on a gringo tour. Nor have a received a fake note from a cabbage.

Actually there was one time where the guy was talking to me (and I wasn't paying much attention) and he went way past the street he was supposed to turn down, and had to double back. I'm pretty sure that was due to the fact he was high as a kite though. I told him when we arrived that I only had $20 pesos on me (the usual fare) and he didn't care. Like I said, he was lit up like a light bulb.

I totally understand your frustration at constantly having to be wary. I live here and earn pesos the same as an Argentinean, but because of my accent there are certain locals who just see me as an opportunity to make money. Always keeping your guard up can be tiring, and since I assume I'll always have a bit of an accent, it is never going to change.

arty said:
not that you guys know of. how well do you know the city and the streets? you really think every cabbie has driven the exact, most efficient route?

if so, i have a bridge for sale in brooklyn, decent asking price.

i've never gotten a fake bill, but I've had a couple of gringo tours

Actually now when you say it, I've had at least one gringo tour and some minor detours.

orwellian said:
Actually now when you say it, I've had at least one gringo tour and some minor detours.

it sucks, but the worst experience I had was in prague. the typical ride to my house from my office was around 300 crowns. one night I get charged 600, so I argued with the guy and he pulls a gun and demands all of it. and he got it.

worst case here so far was leaving the club around 5.30/6am. halfway to my house, the guy turns off the meter.. what do you do then????

Back