Taxi increase again

I never ever take a taxi. If where I want to go is too far to walk, I take a bus. It may take a little longer to get there, but at 1 peso 10, the price is right. In my over 6 years of taking buses I´ve never seen a foreigner aboard. The GUIA "T" book of street maps has all the bus routes listed; available at most newstands.

fifilafiloche said:
Out of curiosity, how do you recognize a foreigner in a collectivo? :confused:

I was going to ask the same question.

I never ever take a taxi. If where I want to go is too far to walk, I take a bus. It may take a little longer to get there, but at 1 peso 10, the price is right. In my over 6 years of taking buses I´ve never seen a foreigner aboard. The GUIA "T" book of street maps has all the bus routes listed; available at most newstands.

I take taxis & collectivos & the subte & walk, or a combination of all of them.... which ever route is best. So what?

fred mertz said:
How do I know if a person is a foreigner? Intuition

They're looking at maps and/or not speaking Spanish.

I've seen lots of them, but I only use buses on weekends.

steveinbsas said:
They're looking at maps and/or not speaking Spanish.

I've seen lots of them, but I only use buses on weekends.

I don't look at maps or not speak Spanish when I ride the 132. The only way you could possibly recognise me as a tourist would be by my socks with sandals, bum bag, hawaiian shirt, safari hat, the camera around my neck and the United Nations flag I always wear draped over my shoulders, cape-style. Apart from that, I look just like the locals. Oh, also I'm 6 foot 5, with blonde hair and a crew-cut.

I've been here 3 months and I've found my experience with cab drivers to be excellent. Sure there have been a few bad ones and its good to be careful, but most are friendly, courteous, take the right route, and give you the benefit of the doubt over a few centavos - for instance if the fare is 12.25, they will only ask for 12.

They raised the price 80 centavos per ride. Maybe that would impact locals, but as expats I hardly see reason to complain/worry.

My luck will probably change as soon as I finish typing this, but I've only had good experiences with cab drivers in Buenos Aires. I've got friendly conversations, tips on what meat to order, detailed advice on which barrios to avoid on what days of the week, and one guy even offered to let me drive his cab for a few blocks when I told him I missed driving.

My advice is, if you think that you're being taken on a gringo tour, politely let the driver know. My boyfriend got a convoluted cab ride a few weeks ago, and when he got off, he mentioned to the driver (in broken castellano) that the same route usually costs him only 12 pesos, compared to the 18 that he was being charged. The driver was very apologetic, said that he genuinely didn't know the best way to get there, and then insisted that my boyfriend pay only 12 pesos.

Just to add more to the "pot of positivity," one night I got in a taxi and one of the tires had gone flat. So, the driver had to go to a service station, which was only 2 or 3 blocks from my destination. The whole ride ended up being 12 pesos (and some cents). However, due to the "inconvenience," he only asked for 2 pesos.

I gave him 12 anyway.

bradlyhale said:
Just to add more to the "pot of positivity," one night I got in a taxi and one of the tires had gone flat. So, the driver had to go to a service station, which was only 2 or 3 blocks from my destination. The whole ride ended up being 12 pesos (and some cents). However, due to the "inconvenience," he only asked for 2 pesos.

I gave him 12 anyway.

Good form, bh, very good form...

(said sincerely, but with a phony British accent.)

Back