Taxi increase again

Popper said:
I ALWAYS know where I am going and how to get there in a cab. I'm not afraid to ask where they are going the second they make a wrong turn. The only time I've been on a gringo ride the guy clearly didn't know where he was going and was sorry - took a wrong turn over a bridge...I offered to pay him what it normally cost for the same ride and he was fine with it. I've also never gotten in a cab expecting to change a 100 peso bill and the only time I've gotten in with a 50 I've asked up front if they have change. Protect yourself by knowing the city...look it up the route on google maps beforehand if you're unsure.

Kind of my point before. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to jump into a cab without having to prep first? And to just be able to sit there without watching like a hawk to see if the driver is up to no good, especially if you're tired, drunk, talking, whatever? I think people get frustrated having to always be on guard.

Diskosis said:
Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to jump into a cab without having to prep first?

Welcome to planet Earth. When you find planet Utopia, let us know.

I've been here almost 2 years. Probably had 4 bad taxi rides. Out of 1000s. I'd say that's a damn good percentage of honest drivers.

And yes, I know my way around BsAs and always make the point of telling the driver which route I want to go. That is common city-sense 101, anywhere in the world.

Yes, that is possible after being here two years ... but if you're new, even if you look at the map, the maps don't show which streets are one ways. One ways make for convoluted routes.

When you're newly arrived to a city do you sit down with a map and do Common Sense 101?

I'm not trying to be snarky with you, and I'm not trying to paint all BA taxi drivers with a broad brush, but I posted hoping to get some tips for someone who's only been here six weeks (though it's my second trip).

Also, I decided the next time I get a driver who speeds and weaves dangerously through traffic, I'm getting out. My Spanish teacher taught me what to say, and she's had it happen to her.

Victoria:
In all honesty - yes, I do usually check the routes in any city I am in. Or at least ask the concierge of the hotel or a local what the expected rate is from Point A to Point B.

If I don't speak the language well enough to navigate, I ask someone who does to give directions to a cab driver before I get into the cab.

When I moved here, I didn't speak Spanish & I still didn't have a lot of bad experiences. I am just saying (at least in my experience), the good FAR outweighed the bad experiences.

As for getting a safe driver.. well, it's Buenos Aires. There is always going to be a certain amount of weaving in & out of traffic, speeding, etc. It's not confined to taxi drivers - everyone I know here drives like that:D

victoria said:
Yes, that is possible after being here two years ... but if you're new, even if you look at the map, the maps don't show which streets are one ways. One ways make for convoluted routes.

Well, fortunately for you, we've all been in the same boat, and we've all survived. You will learn the streets with time.

If crazy drivers worry you, you probably shouldn't be taking any taxis or walking down the streets. Better yet, you should probably ask if renting a bomb shelter in Buenos Aires is possible. And if you must go outside, do so only in a plastic bubble... :rolleyes:

My grandmother in Missouri has a very similar attitude, which explains why she's never been outside of Missouri... ever. If you want to go to Branson with her on vacation next summer, let me know.

Geesh. Live a little?

victoria said:

When you're newly arrived to a city do you sit down with a map and do Common Sense 101?

But then how do you know your -not- going the right way? Since I generally go to more or less the places/areas I know around how much it is going to cost. But I find that each cabbie has his/her own preferred routes and the price at the end comes out to be more or less the same. There can also be a variation based on the amount of traffic at that time of the day, etc.

I'm not trying to be snarky with you, and I'm not trying to paint all BA taxi drivers with a broad brush, but I posted hoping to get some tips for someone who's only been here six weeks (though it's my second trip).[/quote] I'm not trying to be snarky either.

Also, I decided the next time I get a driver who speeds and weaves dangerously through traffic, I'm getting out. My Spanish teacher taught me what to say, and she's had it happen to her.

I agree with you here though. If you don't feel comfortable get out. I've done it once. I didn't feel comfortable telling him he made me nervous, obviously. I just said, "oh, I'd like to stop at that store" or whatever. But as CityGirl says there's alot of changing lanes & speeding going on....

I've mostly experienced good taxis but have been ripped off many times by the 'gringo tour', less so by fake 50, 10 peso notes. it is annoying when it happens but it goes with the territory of living here, which is my choice.
i've never received fake notes from citi atm's so my sympathies go out to you if you have. Fingers crossed.

Dear Bradley Hale,

I'll go to Branson with your grandma (if you hold a gun to my head). Sorry country music fans ... it's a joke. But I really like grandmas.

Back