Teatro Colon: only $2,600 a seat!

chris

Registered
Hurry up and order your ticket to the Colon's mini (7 hours vs the full 15-16 hours) version of Wagner's Ring next season. Only $2,600 (pesos) for a Platea seat. If that is a bit too much, you can always STAND (I said STAND, not sit) way up at the top for a modest $520 pesos.

If you have a subscription (abono) for the "Temporada Lyrica" you only pay $8,750 (pesos) for seven performances (the Ring is NOT included), two of which are not staged but done in concert version. I believe that works out to about $300 USD per performance at the official exchange rate. Check it out: http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/es/files/pdf/abono_colon_2012.pdf

Hey, maybe they have cheaper tickets at the Mercado Central!

Enjoy!

Can some one explain the abonos to me a little more? I'd love to buy season tickets for next year but I'm not exactly sure how they work.

The abono de polo is just a season ticket purchased before the tournament. I would expect it to be the same for the Teatro Colon. But instead of one ticket for each day they perform, you get one ticket for each different opera that they perform during the season.

I would think that each different opera would run two to three weeks.

PhilipDT said:
Can some one explain the abonos to me a little more? I'd love to buy season tickets for next year but I'm not exactly sure how they work.

I went to ask when the Colon reopened. More or less it's something like :

-You pay the annual subscription (ranges from a few hundred pesos up to +40.000 pesos more or less)
-That gives you the right (and priority) to buy entries to the main concerts (with the main singers, not the second back-up team).
-Without abono, you don't have priority, it will be more difficult to listen to the main singers and such.
-Abonos might come with a few entries already but I'm not sure.

Useful link:
Abono prices:
http://habituesdelteatrocolon.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/precios-temporada-2010-con-descuento.pdf

Price examples for the tickets:
http://habituesdelteatrocolon.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/precios-temporada-de-opera-2011/

I wonder which abono gives the best quality/value (useless to go to the Colon to be seated too far)?

I thought the purpose of my post was clear - to point out the absurd inflation in Argentina. There is no way that you'd pay a price of $610 USD for a ticket to the Metropolitan Opera, a private company that does not receive subsidies. The Colon is a municipal theatre with a huge subsidy.

An abono is a subscription to the opera, Philharmonic, ballet etc. You choose your seat from what is available, you pay and you receive all seven tickets (Temporada Lyrica) for the season. Same seats for all performances. It guarantees you the same seats and saves time and effort in trying to get tickets for individual performances. Also the abonos can be passed on to your children. Friends of mine have had theirs for 30 years (inherited from their parents) but they are now trying to decide if they can justify the cost. Each opera in the 7 opera series (Wagner's Ring is not in the abono, You have to pay separately and it costs $2,600 in Platea) costs them close to USD $300 a seat. That's more than they'd spend for comparable seats at the Metropolitan Opera and they aren't earning the kind of salaries you get in New York for the same type of work. Nearly USD $600 for two to attend the opera for one night is a serious undertaking for almost ANYONE in Argentina - or the US for that matter!

In my opinion the only good seats are in Platea not too far from the stage. The theatre is huge, many areas have partial views. If you are in the cheaper seats you can't even enter through the main door. You have to enter through a side entrance and you are not allowed into the best public areas of the theatre.

Not that I will argue there is no inflation and the price of that opera is totally outrageous.

But pick something else and the prices aren't nearly that. Well, at least not for unobstructed but up high. I went to the opera in August and paid AR$270 unobstructed. They weren't the cheapest.

Personally I hate Wagner so you won't get me there for AR$10! :)

I didn't say that all seats were obstructed. There are many that have partial views however you can get a full view but the theatre is so large that the performers look like ants. I don't like that so I'd prefer to pay more and enjoy myself. Wagner is usually something you love passionately or hate.

At this point I prefer to spend under $200 USD and see a really great performance in New York than spend even more in BA for something that is not nearly as good. You can get tickets for something like $20 in Orchestra at the Met if you queue up a few hours before the performance. They are subsidized by generous patrons. If you are a Senior I think you just call and pick them up w/o the wait.

chris said:
I didn't say that all seats were obstructed. There are many that have partial views however you can get a full view but the theatre is so large that the performers look like ants. I don't like that so I'd prefer to pay more and enjoy myself. Wagner is usually something you love passionately or hate.

At this point I prefer to spend under $200 USD and see a really great performance in New York than spend even more in BA for something that is not nearly as good. You can get tickets for something like $20 in Orchestra at the Met if you queue up a few hours before the performance. They are subsidized by generous patrons. If you are a Senior I think you just call and pick them up w/o the wait.
\

I didn't say you said they were obstructed. I said I paid 270 for unobstructed seats for a different opera which I didn't find to be too bad a price. I actually thought it would be more. The seats were quite good, not ants but not up close and personal either. lol.

Yup. I'm in the Wagner hate camp! :)

I think someone mentioned there was a discount ticket outlet near the Obelisco. Of course if the opera is sold out you won't be able to take advantage of that.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you. There are plenty of things that are much cheaper outside of BA these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 0
S Culture 0
B Expat Life 7
M Expat Life 6
Jose Negro Expat Life 0
Back