Teatro Colon: only $2,600 a seat!

At one point I remember they were talking about turning it into a conference center!

mini said:
At one point I remember they were talking about turning it into a conference center!

I didn't know that but I am not surprised. The Colon is actually one of the most important links to Argentina's European heritage. The country, however, is moving in another direction these days. Cristina is a populist (as was her husband). Few of their supporters go to the Colon. Macri is a businessman who is supposed to know how to run things but he doesn't seem to understand that a dynamic cultural life enhances the city's image which increases investment and tourism. The Colon is a highly bureaucratic, politically charged, inefficient institution that sometimes achieves a high level of quality - almost in spite of itself. Like so many things in Argentina, it could be far better but there is no will to make it work.

Okay - can someone (Chris) help me out?

If I want to get 2 tickets for just 1 opera - can I do so now (it is an Xmas gift) or do I have to wait until a later date? And can I buy good seats for an individual opera or are those all reserved? And where exactly should I buy for non-obstructed views?

And most importantly - can I buy online or do I have to go in person?

citygirl said:
Okay - can someone (Chris) help me out?

If I want to get 2 tickets for just 1 opera - can I do so now (it is an Xmas gift) or do I have to wait until a later date? And can I buy good seats for an individual opera or are those all reserved? And where exactly should I buy for non-obstructed views?

And most importantly - can I buy online or do I have to go in person?

You can get tickets for The Merry Widow (operetta) now. It's the last production of the season. I believe remaining tickets are at the box office. If you want tickets for next season you will have to wait several months until they are available.

The Colon started an online purchase system but you still have to go to the box office and queue up to get the tickets (I think there is a delivery system). I don't trust on line sales in Argentina so I prefer to go to the box office and see what I am buying and have the tickets in my hand.

Seat availability depends. If you choose an "extraordinaria" (non subscription performance) you have the whole house to choose from. If it is a subscription performance unsold seats are put on sale at various dates. They may be good seats depending on the popularity of the event and the star quality of the performers. Next season is going to be quite unusual with all but two of the subscription operas relatively unknown. They will not be popular so there should be quite a few seats available. The two much more popular operas will probably sell out early.

All setas in Platea have full views but very close up you have to look up a bit. I believe they will tell you at the box office if the seat has a partial or obstructed view - another reason to go in person.

BTW, the Teatro Argentino de la Plata also has an opera season with a beautiful modern theatre. Their performances are often very good if not as impressive as the Colon's. Tickets are cheaper and they provide a connecting micro from and to BA.

Many thanks - was actually looking at tix for next season's operas and didn't think they were on sale yet (as it appears).

Oh well, passing thought for the holiday gift - thanks for all the info!

chris said:
The ground floor lobby of the Colon with its grand staircase, the Salon Dorado with its amazing Tiffany windows and sculptures and the confiteria are not to be missed...

I won't be able to catch a performance before I leave BA, but I would like to go inside the building and see this stuff. I checked online and guided tours are 60 pesos for foreigners.

Has anyone taken the tour? Is it worth it? I'm a big fan of guided tours if they actually provide interesting information and the guide is knowledgeable. The web site doesn't give any details other than the fact that it lasts an hour.

Don said:
I've taken a tour. AR$60. They have 3 a day in English. Depending on the day they are either at 11am, 1pm, & 2pm or... 12pm, 1pm, & 2pm.

They sell about 1/4 of the tickets online and then the rest can be purchased in person. So you may think that a tour is sold out, but it's really that they aren't offering any more tickets for online purchases.

Bring your camera, because you can take photos during the start and at the end of the tour when you enter the main concert hall. You can't take pictures during the middle of the tour probably so that you will buy souvenir books, but also because a 50min-60min tour would stretch into a 90 minute tour in a snap.

At the Colon there are two box offices. One for buying tickets to shows and one for buying tickets to tours.

Tours in Spanish run every 15 minutes. And for some reason, I have no idea why, but they have yet to add tours in Portuguese despite the fact that about 30% of all of the people in the lobby seem to be Brazilian whenever I duck my head in there. But I would expect tours in Portuguese to be coming soon.

I noticed that the Colon states $60 pesos "for foreigners". It's usually worded for "residents". I wonder of they would try to make a foreigner with a permanent DNI pay $60.

Thanks Napoleon!! I will definitely do that then. Gonna take the tour in Spanish so I'll just head over sometime next week and buy the ticket in person. I'm excited!

How do I get tickets from Europe for this Colon - Ring in November 2012? I tried this year Sept to get for Lohengrin, but the box office did not answer my requests at all neither did aI get tickets - probably because I wrote in English. Unfortunately I cannot speak Spanish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 0
S Culture 0
B Expat Life 7
M Expat Life 6
Jose Negro Expat Life 0
Back