Teatro Colon: only $2,600 a seat!

I've sat all over the Colon and I only like Platea. That's my opinion. I dislike the feeling of being far from the action. Also don't like going up side stairs and not being allowed in Salon Dorado or the confiteria. Don't know where you sat but from the balconies the performers look awfully tiny to me. Anyway everybody has different tastes. I'd be verysurprised if opera tickets were discounted but I could be wrong.

I didn't mind how far we were in terms of view. But I have to say the steepness was kinda scary! :eek:

See now I wouldn't have known I missed out on the Salon Dorado & the confiteria if you hadn't told me. :(

Is it worth $2,600? :D (J/K)

The ground floor lobby of the Colon with its grand staircase, the Salon Dorado with its amazing Tiffany windows and sculptures and the confiteria are not to be missed however you don't have to pay $2,600 (for the mini "Ring"). Tickets for the OTHER seven operas are no more than $300 USD in platea. If you buy a seat anywhere from the middle to the rear Platea it is cheaper. Also you can attend a performance of the Philharmonic or the ballet which are a good deal cheaper.

So, I guess my question is if you buy the abono, are you buying the full season of tickets or are you just buying the rights to buy those tickets?

If you buy the abono you are BUYING tickets to SEVEN operas for next season. The Ring is not included. It is always the same. You buy the entire season's tickets. You then have the right to pass it on to family and friends. In the past a good abono at the Colon was hard to get and people paid huge premiums to buy one. If you do not RENEW your abono you LOSE the right to renew those seats in the future. At companies like the Metropolitan Opera you have a huge array of subscriptions. You do not have to see all the operas each season (far, far more than the Colon performs). You can chose all kinds of big and small subscriptions.

Am I reading this right? If I want to buy an abono for the first time I need to go during these dates?

Nuevos abonos
Conciertos: 27, 28 y 29 de febrero Ópera: 1, 2 y 5 de marzo
Ballet: 6, 7 y 8 de marzo
Libertad 621, de lunes a viernes de 10 a 17 horas

Ok everybody, let's be realistic, I too love the arts, but there is a limit. Teatro Colón is a very important part of this city's history and of course, the city government knowing that will RAPE people financially for a chance to experience it. In other large cities around the world, public theaters are much more accessible financially. And private theaters, such as Broadway theaters, that are privately owned and operated charge what they want. I used to go to Carnegie Hall, the Metropolitan Opera, performances at Lincoln Center, Juliard, etc, when I lived in New York City and those venues are superior to the Teatro Colón and MUCH less expensive. And, what about people who bought tickets earlier this year and went to performances only to have disgruntled employees get on stage and not allow the performances to take place because they were demanding salary increases? As I say "Tipico Argentino", avoid it, until the crappy political climate blows over, which will not happen until Macri is out of office!

...and that's cuatro years away if he doesn't kick the bucket first. :(

The acoustics are excellent. That's the great strength of the hall. The restoration was also first rate. They have really restored the opera house to its original grandeur.

About abonos, the dates are stated for purchase of abonos. They start with renewals. it's not like the Met where you subscribe over the phone or on line and renew the same way. At the Colon you go and stand around, sometimes for hours, while they sort things out. Same with renewals as new subscriptions. The dates are on the Colon website. Of course these things change and you might get there and discover that they changed the date!

As for waiting for Macri to leave to see change at the Colon, it has always been highly politicized. Directors come and go at the whim of the mayor. Because it is a municipal theatre, management is unstable which in turn affects the artistic quality. In many years of experience attending a great number of performances, I have seen the chaos over and over. Some years ago I showed up and found that they had swapped the dates of performances, People with tickets for one day were rescheduled for another day. I protested loudly and was told by a manager that a notice had appeared in La Nacion. When I asked what about people who don't read tiny ads in La Nacion she didn't have an answer. After a lot of arguing, she set up chairs in the back of the platea so that we didn't have to return. This was a concession to two foreigners. Many Argentines were there, unaware of the change of dates, and they just left in resignation.

Macri is not interested in culture and would probably like to see CATS performed there - anything that makes money. He can not see that the theatre brings prestige to Argentina. The Kirchners were always into pop culture so the Colon had no appeal to them. If anything, Cristina is likely to associate the Colon with "oligarchs' who should pay the highest prices in the world.

David is right. The arts are accessible in the US in a way that they are not in Argentina. The Metropolitan Opera (a private company) sets aside a large block of the BEST seats for $20 thanks to the generosity of benefactors. Show up a few hours early and stand in line and you can have one of these tickets. Seniors, I believe, just call to reserve. There is a LOT like that in New York. The quality is also a lot better than what you get at the Colon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 0
S Culture 0
B Expat Life 7
M Expat Life 6
Jose Negro Expat Life 0
Back