Teen mothers and single parents

Hi Syngirl and thank you for your reply I have dug up some more statistics from that good old page you refered me to but my problem is that those statistics are not comparable with other readily available statistics so it seems that it's hard to get any real comparison. It does however look to me as if teen pregnancies in Argentina account for almost 14.5% of all pregnancies over there which is a very high number of course.Comparing that land Holland to Argentina doesn't seem at all fair to me since we're then comparing one of the countries that has the least ammount of teen births in the world to a country that's hard to place.Anyway thank you again for your reply, interesting stuff.

For Danc
"That is interesting. I am married to an argentine woman and we both now live in the USA. She feels that all the t&a shown on tv and in the media in argentina is harmless. What shocks her is how degrated and stupid women are portrayed on USA tv shows."
I dont know if you are agreeing with me or not.
With regard to sexual exploitation laws in advertising, I can only speak for the UK as the rules there are very hard and fast and have been for many years.
What I understand from fictional portrayel of stupid women in US sitcoms women are really only sending themselves up, as you know the US and Uk have very very rigid sexual discrimination and harrassment laws especially in the work place Unlike Argentina. I call that degrading.
So I really doubt that women in the states are offended by the dumb chicks seen on TV as dont forget there are just as many dumb male characters.
But back to Argentina, your wife is probably shocked to see that they show "bosoms" on US television whereas Argentina has this twisted mentality that you can show a woman bending over in a blatant "give me one up the jaxi" position on a 10 mt wide billboard on the freeway or in a family magazine. Yet you watch a discovery health program on birth etc and they blur out the nipples or birth shots!
So the kinky sex shots are OK but the nature shots are too much! really sad!
this is a whole other thread guys

oh sorry!

forgot to include that I also had several "holiday jobs". From mucking out horses at Lilo Blum's riding stables, selling clothes at Harrod's, Way In (good saturday dosh!) to nannying in Paris.
Summer Holiday jobbing has nothing to due with social status or wealth, on the contrary, the better educated families encourage their children to take jobs or do chores. It teaches young people the value of things and lets them know just how lucky they are.
Example: Lady Diana Spencer aka Diana Princess of Wales, had many jobs, one of which was cleaning and cooking. Actually one of those jobs was for an American family.
There is a nice story of that last American mother who Diana worked for.
One day the American lady found a Coutts check book in Diana's name under the sofa. Diana had dropped it by accident. The family was amazed as even they did not have a Coutts account and Diana was their cleaner and cook.
So the Argentines remark about her daughter not working was really "merca" (I learnt that word this week) ha ha!

"auntieapple" said:
oh sorry!

forgot to include that I also had several "holiday jobs". From mucking out horses at Lilo Blum's riding stables, selling clothes at Harrod's, Way In (good saturday dosh!) to nannying in Paris.
Summer Holiday jobbing has nothing to due with social status or wealth, on the contrary, the better educated families encourage their children to take jobs or do chores. It teaches young people the value of things and lets them know just how lucky they are.
Example: Lady Diana Spencer aka Diana Princess of Wales, had many jobs, one of which was cleaning and cooking. Actually one of those jobs was for an American family.
There is a nice story of that last American mother who Diana worked for.
One day the American lady found a Coutts check book in Diana's name under the sofa. Diana had dropped it by accident. The family was amazed as even they did not have a Coutts account and Diana was their cleaner and cook.
So the Argentines remark about her daughter not working was really "merca" (I learnt that word this week) ha ha!
England is not Argentina

quote granadiscool in response to my last note:
"England is not Argentina"
yet he leads the thread with:
"Why are there so many teen pregancies and single parents in the new generation of Argentina?"
so my response to Granadas response:
"Argentina is not Holland" is.......... EXACTLY!
HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO!

"auntieapple" said:
quote granadiscool in response to my last note:
"England is not Argentina"
yet he leads the thread with:
"Why are there so many teen pregancies and single parents in the new generation of Argentina?"
so my response to Granadas response:
"Argentina is not Holland" is.......... EXACTLY!
HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO!

Try to get an summer job for one of your step-children. You won´t find them
They are not there
In Argentina you work full-time or you don´t work

oh! guys you are going to hate me for this but look what I found:
The United States has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world. Teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually.

The fact that just under 1/3 of all girls in the United States will get pregnant in their teenage years is a sobering thought. Obviously, teen pregnancy is a problem in the United States. And the following statistics back that up:
  • Every year around 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant.
  • Depending on the state, teenage birth rates are incredibly different. Nevada has the highest rate: 113 per 1000 and North Dakota the lowest 42 per 1000.
  • Unmarried teenagers having children account for 24 percent of all unmarried expectant mothers.
  • More than 2/3 of all teenagers who have a baby will not graduate from high school.
  • Billions of dollars are spent taking care of teenage mothers and their children and they are more likely to be in the poverty bracket. On the flip side, millions of dollars are spent in prevention programs.
The good news is that teen births have dropped by almost a third since the beginning of the 1990s. With pregnancy prevention programs and more understanding and teaching about safe sex, this number will hopefully drop even more. Here are a few other statistics that hopefully point to even better prevention rates in the years to come:
  • In 2002 the abortion rate among teenager mother was 50 percent lower than its high point in 1988.
  • Among black teenagers, the pregnancy rate dropped around 40 percent since 1990.
  • Among Hispanic teenagers the pregnancy rate dropped around 19 percent since 1990.
  • Among white teenagers, the pregnancy rate dropped around 34 percent since 1990.

what about aupair jobs in europe. I know a couple of friends who sent their children to help with other friends children for the summer season in Europe . Also baby sitting is a part time job.

Auntieapple is completely right, the US has the highest percentage of teenage pregnancies out of all western industrialized nations, twice that of Britain and six times that of Japan. Looking at the Syngirl’s statistics…there seems to be small percentage difference between the US and here and the US does not nearly suffer the socioeconomic issues that are present in this country. And we are pointing the finger at Argentina?

This of course could be a subject of a separate thread, but I have to comment regarding danc’s comment on T&A in BA. Hands down, US is king when it comes to ‘dumbed down’ media, i.e. E Entertainment and everything WB (guilty…for I do indulge time to time) and to think we export this shit all over the world…no wonder people think were idiots…my apologizes. However to counteract this, there is also some very intelligent media in the US, led by strong female role models not shaped by what certain segments of the society believe they should look like or should be.

I do not claim to be an expert on Argentine media, but I have to give equal criticism. Watching a butchered version of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ (supposedly a family show) where there is a tight and prolonged shot of each female’s ass as the norm, or T&A working it in the background in what looks like a kid’s show does come somewhat as a shock. I might add, this seems to be the norm in many Latin shows not just Argentina and seems to be perfectly acceptable. I can’t help but think how would people react to a brassy female comedian or a black overweight talk show host, like Oprah here in Argentina? There just doesn’t seem to be that many platforms in the media that stray away from what is most desirable in the eyes of men.

Pleaseeeeeeeee correct me if I am wrong. I am curious to hear how Argentine women feel about this. Do they feel that they are fairly represented in the media?

"auntieapple" said:
what about aupair jobs in europe. I know a couple of friends who sent their children to help with other friends children for the summer season in Europe . Also baby sitting is a part time job.
I know the laws in Holland and you need to pay an aupair around 300 euro a month, ticket, health-care, posibility to study, room and food(and about 1000 euro in government fees)
I don´t know if you know somebody it´s different but I think you can look a long time for a family that wants an au-pair for 3 months and pay the ticket and a salary.

Back