Temp. Rent Depto. Rules???

jpw

Registered
Hi, I have been living here on temp. tenancy for last 6 months. First 3 months we had a contract for an apartment which went smoothly then I decided to continue with the same landlord on his insistence that if I prefer I can continue staying in the same house and I accepted it seeing no viable reason for me to move for the moment.

Now the second leg of decided 3 months of stay my landlord did not renew the contract and we continued on a mutual understanding.

Recently my tv stopped working suddenly and my landlord is implying that I may need to pay for the cost of the tv since it stopped working (burnt/borke) in my presence in the house.

I am new to this country and don't have a clear understanding of how things work here. But I personally feel that if I had caused the damage to the electronic equipment then I will take its responsibility but since it happened all on its own, Do I still need to pay for its cost?

No, it's not your responsibility to replace it. And in fact, the rent you are paying includes a working TV. So either they fix/replace it, or you get your own TV and take it with you when you move.

Was it old? If it wasn't in the best condition to begin with, the landlord may be trying to pull a fast one. Be insistent that it is not your responsibility to replace items which break on their own.

Reactions: jpw
No, your landlord is 100% trying it on. You should get agressive with him and insist that he fixes the tv or replaces it. If he asks you to pay shout a bit and tell him he is nuts.

Its an old tv which doesn't even have a service centre here as he told me and its 5 years old as per his word. But he kept on insisting that since he gave the house to me with everything working I should have to pay for the tv.

If the contract states you must return everything in working condition as received then the landlord may deduct damages from the deposit. If you have no contract then you are ok. How can a landlord protect himself from abusive or negligent use of the property.
Deciding if it was an accidental instance is the key question ??? Seems unfair to pay for an old TV on a temporary rental. In a hotel the TV would be instantly replaced .

Sounds like the cheap bastard landlord has to pony up a TV , as he admitted it was a POS . All part of wear and tear in the rental world...........

Thanks guys for confirming my concern. Now I am home with three kids without a tv for 4days and more to come cause he is just giving me excuses that he cant do anything he cant find someone to fix it and its really PMO... I just paid him this months rent so I cant even leave until the month ends ...

Back