Temp Visa

raestar

Registered
Just curious about the whole visa situation over there. I have tried to look on the website, but they don't offer this info.

I am moving to BA permanently in September, but I will most likely only be working part-time initially while I work on my novel (possibly for the first year). My question is, as a US citizen, can I just leave the country (like to Montevideo) every 90days to get my visitors visa renewed??

If anyone can offer me info that would be greatly appreciated.

Rae

Hello,
I do believe you are correct. My boyfriend visited for 3 months a couple of summers ago and found that to be the case. I had asked the same question a few days ago (on this site) and have not received a reply yet. There is a mention to it in one of the threads (i cant remember which one) and the person was warned about that "looking bad" when you are finally applying for a visa, so I would definitely verify before you decide what to do.
Good Luck! :)

I think there are quite a few threads on this subject. The answer is "yes" you can leave the country every 3 months and renew the visa. You can also go to immigration after the first 3 months and renew it there, but after the following 3 months you will have to leave the country and re-enter even within the same day. You can alternate as such every three months, although what the law apparently says is that you can't stay more than 6 months per year (no source for that), but that has not been enforced. Most people take the boat to Colonia and back in the same day. I have done this for 2 years now but last time they hassled me in immigration on the return (lots of questions about what I'm doing in Argentina for so long). Now I am getting a work visa in a few weeks, unfortunately I'll have to make one more run to Colonia and back before that happens, hopefully they won't hassle me (I hear it's hit or miss with being hassled, but as far as I've seen on this board no one has ever been denied entry into Argentina for doing this process).

That Argentine Post article has an error; according to the Migraciones website the new fee to change a tourist visa to a work visa is 600 pesos, not 1000 (it used to be 200).

Katie said:
That Argentine Post article has an error; according to the Migraciones website the new fee to change a tourist visa to a work visa is 600 pesos, not 1000 (it used to be 200).

Yes, I also saw on the immigration website it's $600.

Back