Temporary Residency application using the Radex website

How hard is it to get the FBI background check apostilled? I guess I am a little confused. I have my birth certificate apostilled from the US State of issuance. The FBI Background check, I have a paper and PDF copy, not apostilled. Do I have to get the FBI background check apostilled in the US, via Argentina's embassy in DC?
Possibly there is someone here with a more definite/better answer to this, however based on my recent experience...as you suggest - get it done in the US. I don't believe the US Embassy here in Buenos Aires can provide it for you. The US Embassy here, on their website has a contact link. You can send them a message and they've been very good about responding with answers or helpful information.
- I would look into getting it notarized/legalized in the US then take it to be apostilled at the Argentina Embassy in the U.S..
- Then once in hand here you will need to have it translated and the translation legalized. ( I can recommend a translator if you request.)
At that point Immigration here will accept it.
- As far as I can tell the birth certificate is no longer being required. In the Radex system application it was not a required document to be uploaded to the Radex site.

How can I notarize the FBI background check? It's not signed by me.

How can I notarize the FBI background check? It's not signed by me.
Again, limited knowledge on this matter, but I believe they would not be notarizing your signature but the government's signature on the FBI document. At Thailand, my country of residence for Argentina filing purposes, there was a Criminal background check which was notarized / legalized by a Thai government agency. After that was done I walked the documents to the Argentina Embassy at Bangkok. There it was apostilled. i think that's a typical progression that would apply to your situation in the US.

5-15-19 Update to this thread on applying temporary residency for foreigners.
After being helped at Bldg 6 section "D" to discover why my application online had been finalized but no appointment was forthcoming, turned out the matter was that my document was missing a legalization or apostille of my proof of pension. **and there was no e-mail follow up of the problem. At Bldg 6 I was offered/instructed to pursue the quick, easier and much less expensive route of legalizing at Esmerelda 1214, the proof of pension in Spanish I'd received from the US Embassy in Buenos Aires. The alternative would of been to pursue an apostille of the Social Security Benefits letter in the U.S. - Wildly more expensive and taking much longer. They would accept the locally legalized document.
Once I had the legalized document from Esmeralda 1214, as described in an earlier post, i returned to Bldg 6 "D" and was fairly quickly invited to sit and present all my relevant documents (criminal report from last location, Certificate of Domicilio, proof of pension, receipts for 3 payments of the invoices received during the Radex application process, passport). Lots of photocopying by the agent including all pages of the passport, fingerprints, signing of documents, a photo from their camera. Finally I was issued a Precaria, duration of 3 days, plus some internet addresses where I could view and download the local criminal report, view the 3 day Precaria which would be updated online within a day or so to a 90 day Temporary Residence Precaria. I also received a couple of e-mails from Immigracions: advising where to find, view, download the local Argentina Criminal Report online and a demand notice to return for another early morning appointment with all documents on the 3rd day. **No description of what/which "all documents" meant. As I had the e-mail address of the Bldg 6 person who had helped process my documents I sent copies of all the communications I'd received to her. She wrote back, no need to come in for the early appointment, and attached a copy of the now updated 90 day, one page, Precaria Temporary Residency.
This was the end of the procedure. They are supposed to then send you your DNI by mail. (I have heard reports of people not receiving their DNI or it taking a long time.
As I need a CUIL and there was no indication of when I could get it or when the DNI would be sent, I will return to Bldg 6 to try for them or information on when and how to expect to receive them.
If there's one take away message here this is it: If you're from an Non-Mercosur country applying for Residency through the Radex System and you have a problem or a question or you have finalized the application online and need the appointment to get your Precaria - first, at the entrance gate of Immigrations let them know what country you're from, flash your passport, say you need to go to Bldg 6. Avoid the main building, do not get into the Informes line in the main building. Go to Bldg 6 section D and ask politely for assistance. If you don't speak or understand Spanish well, take someone who does to help you communicate. You will get help and you'll expedite your application.

After being helped at Bldg 6 section "D" to discover why my application online had been finalized but no appointment was forthcoming, turned out the matter was that my document was missing a legalization or apostille of my proof of pension. **and there was no e-mail follow up of the problem. At Bldg 6 I was offered/instructed to pursue the quick, easier and much less expensive route of legalizing at Esmerelda 1214, the proof of pension in Spanish I'd received from the US Embassy in Buenos Aires. The alternative would of been to pursue an apostille of the Social Security Benefits letter in the U.S. - Wildly more expensive and taking much longer. They would accept the locally legalized document.
Once I had the legalized document from Esmeralda 1214, as described in an earlier post, i returned to Bldg 6 "D" and was fairly quickly invited to sit and present all my relevant documents (criminal report from last location, Certificate of Domicilio, proof of pension, receipts for 3 payments of the invoices received during the Radex application process, passport). Lots of photocopying by the agent including all pages of the passport, fingerprints, signing of documents, a photo from their camera. Finally I was issued a Precaria, duration of 3 days, plus some internet addresses where I could view and download the local criminal report, view the 3 day Precaria which would be updated online within a day or so to a 90 day Temporary Residence Precaria. I also received a couple of e-mails from Immigracions: advising where to find, view, download the local Argentina Criminal Report online and a demand notice to return for another early morning appointment with all documents on the 3rd day. **No description of what/which "all documents" meant. As I had the e-mail address of the Bldg 6 person who had helped process my documents I sent copies of all the communications I'd received to her. She wrote back, no need to come in for the early appointment, and attached a copy of the now updated 90 day, one page, Precaria Temporary Residency.
This was the end of the procedure. They are supposed to then send you your DNI by mail. (I have heard reports of people not receiving their DNI or it taking a long time.
As I need a CUIL and there was no indication of when I could get it or when the DNI would be sent, I will return to Bldg 6 to try for them or information on when and how to expect to receive them.
If there's one take away message here this is it: If you're from an Non-Mercosur country applying for Residency through the Radex System and you have a problem or a question or you have finalized the application online and need the appointment to get your Precaria - first, at the entrance gate of Immigrations let them know what country you're from, flash your passport, say you need to go to Bldg 6. Avoid the main building, do not get into the Informes line in the main building. Go to Bldg 6 section D and ask politely for assistance. If you don't speak or understand Spanish well, take someone who does to help you communicate. You will get help and you'll expedite your application.
Thanks again for continuing to update us on your experience with Radex and Migraciones. Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I thought I was given a Cuil when I was buying an apt, long before I ever got residency. I thought I got it at an AFIP Office. I am thinking of something different that I needed to buy the apt?

Sorry. Just saw your post about getting a CUIL in another thread.

I’m seeing a bit of confusion re legalization vs apostille. Hope this helps:

Legalization, in this context, is the process by which a document from a foreign or private entity becomes acceptable for use here.
As regards a foreign document presented for trámites in Argentina, that is normally done by the Argentine consular post with jurisdiction where the document was issued. E.g. if the document is from Canada, it must be legalized by the Argentine consulate in Toronto or Montreal, depending on what province issued the document. Quebec/Atlantic provinces: Montreal. Ontario/prairies/BC: Toronto.
(These consulates, in turn, require that the document be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa before they will legalize it.) The idea is simple: rather than require every government agency to be familiar with every kind of document used in the world, delegate this to the consulate in that place, everyone else need only be familiar with the legalization stamp.

The apostille supersedes the legalization requirement, IOW it allows a document to be accepted without legalization. The convention which established the process is literally called the “Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents”. Under this process, each signatory country nominates officers whose signatures are then recognized by all other signatory countries.

I.e. if both countries (the issuer and the destination) are signatories to The Hague Convention, then a document apostilled by the issuing country is accepted without requiring further legalization. The reason I cited Canada above is because it is not a signatory to this convention, as such any Canadian documents used here must be legalized by the Argentine government (again, via its Canadian consulates) prior to their use here.

Some countries will allow you to apply for apostilling their documents via their consulates, but most do not. If you have a US document requiring an apostille, for example, this must be done stateside (in the state that issued the document, or by the State Department if it was issued by the federal government).

What confuses people is that the Apostille supersedes the legalization requirement; it does not preclude it. If the Argentine government, for example, decides it will legalize documents issued by the US Embassy here, it is of course free to do so, and that document is then valid for use here, without needing to send that document to Washington to have the State Department apostille it.

It is but natural that some people here get confused by all this, and assume “the US apostilles its documents, ergo no legalization of US documents is done here”. That is why @artisans was wise to bring the sample showing that this can be done, and indeed is done.

5-15-19 The Radex Residency application process really has come an end, apart from waiting the DNI to arrive. I thought the CUIL / CUIT would flow from this also but it doesn't. You go elsewhere for these, and a relative "piece of cake" once you've got the Precaria from Immigraciones. No DNI required! Here's a report on getting a CUIL at one of the Anses offices: https://baexpats.org/threads/how-to-obtain-cuil.24202/page-3

How do I show proof of where I live? The apartment lease is in my wife's name.

Back