Testing the waters

this is incredible news. thank you. I will now proceed to spice up my life (...and all the sudden that awful female british pop group from the 90s jumps into my head...)

TX_Traveler:

I bring anything that I'm particularly brand attached to (toiletries, like make-up, face wash, etc.) and also as many jeans as I want to wear during my entire time here. I have a really hard time finding pants (especially jeans) here because I'm taller than most women and I like my jeans to be plain and simple, not cracked out with glitter or super super tight. But I don't know if you're a guy or a girl, and maybe it's easier for men?

I second the birth certificate and police record, but would specify that you should get an FBI background check (complete with fingerprints) done because that's what they are asking for these days for a work and a student visa. Be sure to get your birth certificate notarized with an apostile or at the Argentine Consulate. I would also recommend bringing copies of your most recent educational transcript- I found it helpful with job interviews- and nice copies of your CV so you don't have to print them here. Make photocopies of everything!

soulskier said:
Large size glasses, creamy salad dressings, spices, those sticky things for the bottom of the bath tubs are all things that are hard to us to find. Also any electronic equipment you think might be on it's last leg is wise to update (and sell the older model in ARG).

I saw hundreds of those sticky things for the bathtubs in Easy last week. They were hung at the end of almost every aisle, I remember thinking how strange that there were so many.

Katie said:
TX_Traveler:

I bring anything that I'm particularly brand attached to (toiletries, like make-up, face wash, etc.) and also as many jeans as I want to wear during my entire time here. I have a really hard time finding pants (especially jeans) here because I'm taller than most women and I like my jeans to be plain and simple, not cracked out with glitter or super super tight. But I don't know if you're a guy or a girl, and maybe it's easier for men?

No, it's impossible to find reasonably priced decent jeans here for men. Clothes in general here is poor quality.

jp said:
If you plan on getting a legit job or applying for residency make sure you bring your birth certificate & police record with you, and get both stamped by the argentine consulate at home.

Is it required that these documents be stamped at the Argentine consulate in the States? I was under the impression that they could be apostilled, but does that mean they have to be apostilled at the consulate?

I just bought a big bottle of Srichacha in Chinatown for 19 pesos. They also had peanut butter without salt or sugar added. Score!

Did you find the real sriracha? The one with the rooster on it? I bought a big bottle too, but its not the authentic stuff, It has 3 chili peppers on it and has a bit of a different taste.

If you like to cook at all, I second the bring your knives and any other of your favorite kitchen gadgets. Measuring cups (liquid and for flour sugar) and measuring spoons for measuring USA - here they measure flour etc in grams on a scale. I would have brought my entire spice rack too...

Back