Thailand VS.Argentina

qwerty said:
cost of living is much cheaper Money is not everything and if it's more expensive poorer people just leave
I live in a one bedroom apt and pay the same here that I paid for a 5 bedroom 5 bth house in Bangkok

ATMs everywhere that are never out of $ and are always working.
No problem here
Really,I would say 75% of the time I visit my closest Banco Franco their ATM is closed for maintenece and when it is working,10-15 deep waiting to use it

Better variety of food There is variety if you can afford it and look very goodI do quite well and just how many crappy pizzas and empnada joints does this town need?

much better weather(if u like the heat which i do) Your opinion, I think BA has probally the best weather in the world, other then maybe the summer, but I am either away or at the beachhave u ever been to a Thai beach?

much safer No complaints hereIm sure CityGirl and the Candy Store owner who were recently mugged and robbed at gun point would beg to differ

typically friendly people Maybe it's you? No problems hereIve met some great Argies,and then again the level of arrogance here is overwhelming at times.

no dog crap Not really a problem for me, but I am not living in a cheap placeKudos for you

beaches 4 hours awayGoogle Koh Lipe,Koh Samui,Koh Phi Phi,or Andaman sea and compare them to local beaches...no contest

no lining up for everything. Like?...ummm,@the bank,to pay bills,to get inside a cheesy nightclub...etc,etc,,,

More work SuggestiveHow so?They are beggiing for english teachers

less inflation Probally true, but who cares as long as you can afford it [/QUOTE] Sure I guess if you endless amounts of cash to throw away who cares about run away inflation.

Obviously you are quite happy and content here and thats great.I dont hate it here and frankly as time goes on i like it more and more,however I prefer SE Asia.My intent wasnt to slam BsAs,rather to answer the multiple PMs ive gotten asking MY OPINION and I gave it,so we can agree to disagree.

BKK to BA said:
Sure I guess if you endless amounts of cash to throw away who cares about run away inflation.

Obviously you are quite happy and content here and thats great.I dont hate it here and frankly as time goes on i like it more and more,however I prefer SE Asia.My intent wasnt to slam BsAs,rather to answer the multiple PMs ive gotten asking MY OPINION and I gave it,so we can agree to disagree.

Pretty good comeback.

Good luck in Thailand man. I have a friend who works for the UNDP over there. He tells me it's beautiful.

Though I know they were going thru some serious sh*t when all that rioting broke out. I hear it's pretty calm now but that whole military coup thing would turn me off. Having family in Latin America, that military dictatorship stuff doesn't fly.

I read your pro's and con's list. I would say it's about 85% accurate ( food, beaches, atm's, safety, dog crap, inflation all spot on ) the weather and the people are a little bit more of a personal preference thing.

Again good luck brother. I hope you and your dog find a warm welcome over there.

AlexfromLA said:
Good luck in Thailand man. I have a friend who works for the UNDP over there. He tells me it's beautiful.

Though I know they were going thru some serious sh*t when all that rioting broke out. I hear it's pretty calm now but that whole military coup thing would turn me off. Having family in Latin America, that military dictatorship stuff doesn't fly.

I read your pro's and con's list. I would say it's about 85% accurate ( food, beaches, atm's, safety, dog crap, inflation all spot on ) the weather and the people are a little bit more of a personal preference thing.

Again good luck brother. I hope you and your dog find a warm welcome over there.

I was there for 5 years before coming here,including the coup when they originally overthrew then PM Thaksin Sinowatra,alot of it was press hype,making it look like the entire city was a battle zone and that wasnt the case at all.
Regardless I will be chilling along the Thai/Laos border in the Mekong Delta,far away from BKK.I have a house there where my 2 thai mutts live and Choochoo will finally have some playmates.

Sounds like Choochoo got incredibly lucky when she was dumped at your doorstep. A BA street mutt moving to a house in the Mekong Delta...!

Your list makes a lot of sense. If you can stand one more question: how did you end up in Buenos Aires? None of my business, I know, but I'd like to know what got you to zero-in on Argentina, a world away from Thailand (in more than one way).

SaraSara said:
Sounds like Choochoo got incredibly lucky when she was dumped at your doorstep. A BA street mutt moving to a house in the Mekong Delta...!

*Plays the Jefferson's theme song in the background* :D

SaraSara said:

Your list makes a lot of sense. If you can stand one more question: how did you end up in Buenos Aires? None of my business, I know, but I'd like to know what got you to zero-in on Argentina, a world away from Thailand (in more than one way).

I had spent time in Brasil about 5 years ago and had a great time and I had grown bored in SE Asia and was looking for a change.
A client of mine already had someone in Sao Paulo so I figured BsAs was the next best thing......

In hindsight,Argentina and Brasil share a common border,but not much else. The 30 hour flight was a deterrent in keeping me from coming here just to check it out first.

I dont HATE BsAs,but at least for me,the pros of living in Asia make it much more attractive then life here.

LAtoBA said:
Qwerty,

Did you ever stop and think that maybe not everyone wants to live here? Not everyone's going to fall in love with the place. You seem to take it so personally. Not everyone likes where I'm from either...at the end of the day it's their loss not mine. No big deal.

By the way I found it interesting that you said money is not everything......yet in your post you seem to imply that you have it in abundance. You're right. When you got the dough, money isn't everything. But some of us gotta get it first!

So leave and move to place where it's easier to get

Begin friendly is also mixed with 'I am from the US/Europe and because of that I get extra attention which I like'

Argentines(especially the (upper) middle class) are more or less like Europeans, they also have plenty of posibilities to travel. Begin European/American in Argentina is just not so interesting then it is in lets say Peru, Colombia or Thailand. In that sense you are like in Europe

qwerty said:
Begin friendly is also mixed with 'I am from the US/Europe and because of that I get extra attention which I like'

Argentines(especially the (upper) middle class) are more or less like Europeans, they also have plenty of posibilities to travel. Begin European/American in Argentina is just not so interesting then it is in lets say Peru, Colombia or Thailand. In that sense you are like in Europe

I dont recall ever saying there werent friendly Argies,because I have met quite a few.I have also met some real asshats here too.In comparison to Thailand(which is this threads topic) Argentina lags far behind.

Thailand's nickname is LOS AKA Land of Smiles...and thats not just for the happy ending massages either.

Back