Thanksgiving in Vicente Lopez!

Status
Not open for further replies.
captdave said:
Thanksgiving is on Thursday (I don't know why, but it is!)

Though it was celebrated on and off beginning in 1621 (as a harvest festival), it was President Washington who officially declared Thursday, November 26, 1789 as a national day of thanksgiving to GOD. During the Civil War (1863) President Lincoln officially declared the final Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day. In 1939 (when there were five Thursdays in November) FDR declared the fourth Thursday as the official Thanksgiving Day. Congress made it law in 1941.

captdave said:
Yes you do - it's all about the head count...

David

Okey Dokey Capt'n. Count me in. I have a few biker friends in town that could be interested as well, i ll let you know before Wednesday.

Still plenty of room at the table Thursday!

I have about 12 confirmed for Thanksgiving, as well as a few non-forum friends.

Just let me know by Weds. morning...

Gobble, gobble !

David

Count me in! What do you need? How do we get there?

Thanks!

hi,
I would like to come with a friend. Where do I find your address? thanks,
Karla

I´ll be there! And I´m bringing the whole gang: the two roomies, plus 4 more! (so... 7 total) Not sure what side dishes we´ll be bringing... but we will be coming with something, plus drinks!

And don´t worry about that cranberry sauce getting eaten, I can definitely help with that :D. Can´t wait!

Hey guys!

Looks like the table is filling up - great!

Here's a "reprint" of a post about how to get here:

Where is the bbq?
The house is in Vicente Lopez, the first neighborhood north after Nunez.
Gaspar Campos 121
*Directions to the house

There is a printable map, with taxi instructions in spanish, at:
http://www.davidelkus.com/map.html
and another one, perhaps clearer but without instructions at:
http://www.terrazadelnorte.com/eng/ubicac.html

A cab from Palermo should be about 20 pesos - split 2 or 3 ways that ain't too bad.

You can also take any one of a number of buses. The 29 (be SURE to only take the one that says "Olivos") comes down Libertador through Belgrano/Nunez and passes under the Lugones/Grnl. Paz overpass. A few blocks later it crosses LaPrida (right after the big Carrafour in Vicente Lopez.) - get off there.
Cross the RR track, walk up the hill 3 blocks (on LaPrida), turn left on Gaspar Campos (house # is 121.)

There are several buses that run down Cabildo/Maipu (Av. Santa Fe turns into Cabildo in Palermo, which then becomes Maipu as it enters Vicente Lopez).
You can take any 152, 161, 59 (there are a few others as well, if you're handy with the Guia T) - they all stop at Maipu and LaPrida (about 3 blocks after you go under the overpass the marks the boundary of Vicente Lopez, at the 5000 block of Cabildo.)
Walk down the hill on LaPrida about 4 blocks, and turn right on Gaspar Campos to #121

The train from Retiro (the one that goes to Tigre) also comes close. Get off at Rividavia (4th stop, next after Nunez) and continue walking along the tracks in the direction the train was going until you get to LaPrida. Turn left, walk up the hill a couple blocks to Gaspar Campos, turn left and find #121 at the end of the block!

My cell phone is
15 4048 4297 if you want better instructions (or get lost...)

Hasta jueves!

David

hmm... well I missed Canadian Thanksgiving so should give the American one a go, although I find the love of Thanksgiving a little overwhelming from all you Yanks, lol!! It's been years since I've had a turkey dinner though and the hubby's out of town so perfect opportunity to get out and indulge in North American food and traditions! Just waiting to hear back from a friend of mine to see if she'll be tagging along, so put me down for 1 and I'll up the numbers tomorrow if she decides to join. Will make something for dessert, if I have the time I'll try for a pecan pie, otherwise will just have to see what I can get together!

Question -- how's the parking by you? Is it just street parking? I'm thinking to maybe drive but our car doesn't lock since it got stolen (and returned) the other week... although then again the entire dashboard got ripped out so not like there's anything of value left to steal in it...

My girlfriend and I would like to come if you still have room for more. We can easily bring dinner rolls if no one else is bringing those. Otherwise, is there a different side that needs to be brought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back