"the Ashes" Cricket Series Live In Sth America

I know hes not there but surely he must still have a say as Chairman and if not hes still responsible.

No he doesn't have a say on tour. He was involved in the squad selection but he's not involved with team selections on tour. Marsh is the selector on duty and with Clarke's withdrawal its just Bacchus and Boof.

I agree with you on Agar, Pauper. The lack of spinners coming through in Australian cricket is really disappointing. I read an article a while back and Shane Warne reckons that in domestic cricket spinners arent given enough game time and confidence to develop. Hes probably right. The only positive I can think of is atleast they are not scared to play young/unproven talent which for so long they were...

I think Australia finally have some decent spinners emerging - Zampa, Boyce and of course Agar but its all down to how they progress in the next few years.

I think Australia finally have some decent spinners emerging - Zampa, Boyce and of course Agar but its all down to how they progress in the next few years.

But none of them have proven much even at first class level. They are just guys with a bit of talent. Agar has barely played a first class domestic season. We have gone through now 12 spinners since Warne retired. And most of them had not proven much either. There is a lack of depth at domestic level (which we had all through the Warne years, apart from Macgill) but everyone sat on their hands because we had Warne.

Same thing happened at a wider level, we continued to dominate with a team that had an average age of 35 and rather than starting to move guys on and bringing in a mix of youth so they could develop against the older guys we left it too late, then they basically all retired at once and here we are.

Its a systemic, development problem in Australina cricket that still hasnt been addressed.

No he doesn't have a say on tour. He was involved in the squad selection but he's not involved with team selections on tour. Marsh is the selector on duty and with Clarke's withdrawal its just Bacchus and Boof.

Dont believe it. Hes the Chairman of Selectors and he is responsible for his team. Thats like saying because the CEO/MD is out of town hes not responsible/involved with the company.

Dont believe it. Hes the Chairman of Selectors and he is responsible for his team. Thats like saying because the CEO/MD is out of town hes not responsible/involved with the company.

Don't know where you got the impression that he's out of town. Invers is in England, and can be called upon if there is a split in the two man panel.

Or are you saying they lied about the makeup of the selection panel? Why would they do that?

Nah I am just saying hes responsible. I didnt realise he wasnt "selecting" until you said. EDIT: Plus, perhaps there was a tie in various decisions and he was in fact used, unless there has been reports to the contrary??

shocking batting line-up.

No one seems like a proper batsman except Clarke.

The talent is just not there, hence the endless arguments of who should bat 3, who out of Khawaja, Warner, Hughes will be the saviour and what the hell to do with Watto. If there was an obvious solution it would've happened by now.

As with the spinners there is a younger generation coming through (Maddinson, Harris, Silk, Burns) that might offer hope in a few years.

Back