The Club Sandwich Index

That's getting to the heart of the matter - what constitutes a Club Sandwich has been lost. Seems to me there are too many different interpretations to declare it a standard.

Lettuce, tomato, turkey, ham, cheese, bacon, and mayo, on three pieces of bread. Sliced diagonally into four triangular pieces. Add avocado for a California Club.

In the 70's, P.J. O'Rourke wrote a piece for the National Lampoon in which he claimed to measure inflation by the price of a BJ, based upon his allegedly extensive experience with hookers in various countries. Knowing O'Rourke, he probably made it all up. Then again, the late 70's, after the oil embargo of 1975, was a time of fierce inflation in the US dollar.

I paid $58 for a lomito sandwich in a baguette (or similar) out in the sticks yesterday. Actually it was one of those shacks on a trailer.
It was damn tasty and I can't figure out if that was expensive or not as my Peso index has gone completely haywire.

Lettuce, tomato, turkey, ham, cheese, bacon, and mayo, on three pieces of bread. Sliced diagonally into four triangular pieces. Add avocado for a California Club.

In the 70's, P.J. O'Rourke wrote a piece for the National Lampoon in which he claimed to measure inflation by the price of a BJ, based upon his allegedly extensive experience with hookers in various countries. Knowing O'Rourke, he probably made it all up. Then again, the late 70's, after the oil embargo of 1975, was a time of fierce inflation in the US dollar.

A typical Club Sandwich however there are many options

https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=club+sandwich&rls=com.microsoft:es:%7Breferrer:source%3F%7D&rlz=1I7SKPT_esAR399&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Yhh5U_uIKpSmsQTO9ICoDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=afyeIn9Y6ShgrM%253A%3BBI_eqCoe6mAbWM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.taste.com.au%252Fimages%252Frecipes%252Fsfi%252F2005%252F07%252F1018_l.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.taste.com.au%252Frecipes%252F1018%252Fmarinated%252Bchicken%252Bclub%252Bsandwich%3B614%3B409

1018_l.jpg

You forgot toasted - and I agree. However, see Rich One's response above.

I've seen clubs without turkey, without ham, with grilled chicken instead of turkey, without bacon, etc. Yes, I know they're not true Club Sandwiches, but there you are.

Too damned many people think these things are up for interpretation - don't get me started on a Reuben.

Surely Club Sandwich is just a posh way of saying Sandwich?

No, I would politely disagree. It is a specific recipe, albeit one with many variations as outlined above. I have no idea of the etymology of the phrase, but it is a specific recipe, as surely as the Reuben. And one of my personal favorites :)

Mmmm, now I'm thinking about a pastrami Reuben, dammit...

Speaking of club sandwiches, what word is used for turkey meat here in BsAs, pavo, guajalote, or something completely different?

No, I would politely disagree. It is a specific recipe, albeit one with many variations as outlined above. I have no idea of the etymology of the phrase, but it is a specific recipe, as surely as the Reuben. And one of my personal favorites :)

Mmmm, now I'm thinking about a pastrami Reuben, dammit...

Went into a place recently, ordered a ham and swiss with Russian dressing.
"We don't have Russian dressing."
"But you have the Reuben on your menu - you can't make a Reuben without Russian dressing."
"We use 1,000 Island for the Reuben."
"But then it's not...*sigh* oh, never mind."

Argentinos use pavo.

Went into a place recently, ordered a ham and swiss with Russian dressing.
"We don't have Russian dressing."
"But you have the Reuben on your menu - you can't make a Reuben without Russian dressing."
"We use 1,000 Island for the Reuben."
"But then it's not...*sigh* oh, never mind."

Argentinos use pavo.

In the San Diego terminology, that's a California Reuben with the 1000 Island, as opposed to a New York Reuben with mustard. I've never heard of using Russian dressing, where did you encounter that?

Back