The Guardian: "Time to challenge Argentina’s white European self-image, black history experts say"

The image that flashes into my mind every time I hear some Argentine droning on about their European ancestry.

9be.jpg

When I want to hurt an Argentinian, I make sure to include the words 'We the Europeans...' / 'We in Europe...' in my sentence. They don't dare to reply and suffer in silence.

When I want to hurt an Argentinian, I make sure to include the words 'We the Europeans...' / 'We in Europe...' in my sentence. They don't dare to reply and suffer in silence.

I prefer to show this picture of Europeans arriving by boat in Argentina.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F91c02742-4df8-11e8-9812-5f003d09c84c.png

Yikes! Mexicans are Indians, Brazilians are Jungle People, but we Argentines are Europeans. As much as I dislike the whole wokeness movement, I think you can safely label this as "white supremacy"

How does each new Argentine president make the previous one look like a genius?

Wow, said with no element of irony with a big shit eating grin on his face. A true believer.
It’s really no wonder that Argentines are so disliked in the rest of Latin America.
They’d probably be disliked the world over if more people spoke Spanish.

Yikes! Mexicans are Indians, Brazilians are Jungle People, but we Argentines are Europeans. As much as I dislike the whole wokeness movement, I think you can safely label this as "white supremacy"

How does each new Argentine president make the previous one look like a genius?
The thing is, pretty much every Argentinian I've met believes exactly what Fernandez said. It's part of the Argentinian mythology. Even Jose Luis Borges repeated the quote in "The Old Patagonian Express" (he wondered where all the black people had gone as well). As much as it sounds crass outside of Argentina, it's not going to do Fernandez any damage here (it might even help him reconnect with the Argentinian soul, all he needs now is to be photographed at an asado at the weekend).

The thing is, pretty much every Argentinian I've met believes exactly what Fernandez said. It's part of the Argentinian mythology. Even Jose Luis Borges repeated the quote in "The Old Patagonian Express" (he wondered where all the black people had gone as well). As much as it sounds crass outside of Argentina, it's not going to do Fernandez any damage here (it might even help him reconnect with the Argentinian soul, all he needs now is to be photographed at an asado at the weekend).

Yeah I understand that. It is the definition of white supremacy though. We are better because we're europeans.

Yeah I understand that. It is the definition of white supremacy though. We are better because we're europeans.

Yup. America obviously has huge problems with racism, and there are plenty of white supremacists. But white supremacy is the fringe, not really part of the ethos of our culture. So ordinary Americans may speak of their Irish/Scottish/Polish etc heritage, but it has a different connotation, than an Argentinian emphasizing their European heritage in an implicitly (or in Alberto's case, explicitly) comparative way, with European heritage somehow being inherently superior to all others.

If everyone remembers Obama's infamous statement regarding a certain demographic of white republicans clinging to guns and religion, I would say something similar applies to white Argentinians. They live in an incredibly resource-rich, massive country and 120 years ago were richer than the U.S., Canada, and Australia. Whatever the reasons, all that potential has been gloriously wasted and the people of the interior can only cling to their "Europeanenss."

Hmmm, thoughtful post from you. Eliminating this tendency among people would be interesting.
I think we can all agree on the following ten commandments.

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely—improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion—faith—tradition—and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth—beauty—love—seeking harmony with the infinite.
10. Be not a cancer on the Earth—Leave room for nature—Leave room for nature.

Back