The Ideal Life in Baires

I agree with everyone that you have to know how to cook to enjoy food in Buenos Aires. For example: When I couldn't find tortillas here, I just started making my own. My boyfriend and I would go buy a package of vegetables sold at any verduleria, steam them, throw in some cheese, and have delicious vegetarian burritos. AllRecipes.com is great.

I like the urban decay, the graffiti, Argentine spanish, the bus drivers with shrines, the national anthem playing on every radio station at midnight, the cemetaries, the pots and pans, the barra bravas, the underground market at Diagonal Norte, the humidity, jamon crudo, the cafe culture, neighbors with gigantic parillas, dog walkers with 40 dogs, barrio Chino...
Being from NY, I'm used to everything being available at your fingertips.
What I really love about BA is the satisfaction from looking a bit harder.

Oh and Texxas, I'm with you on the Weddings and public transportation :D

texxaslonghorn said:
So EvanB, why don't you contribute? Contribute some things that are not about consumption, of course.

If food is what someone likes (or anything else that is consumption-centered) what's the big deal?

My post included weddings and public transportation.

I think BA is a city where either you are infatuated almost the day you arrive - or you aren't.

All those little things, the obstacles you encounter - they are the little tests that reaffirm to you that it's worth it.

I get the lack of variety in food but I agree that the produce and what is available here more than makes up for it if you just cook for yourself once in a while. Give up trying to eat Asian food when you are out. I had the worst thai food in my life not in BA but in Dublin. Shocking? Only in that I bothered to try.

There are a lot of plain and boring restaurants with empanadas, BUT, I woudl take those over the hundreds of fast food places we have in North America. I mean, that is the pricepoint we are dealing with. As soon as you spend a bit of money, you are getting great value.

Ultimately, I view the obstacles as filters. Thank god for them or everyone would be here.

I love BA - its still going to take me some time to get legal/DNI/residency or citizenship - it will still take me time to get all my guns here and get involved in the local hunting and competitive shooting side of things - and while my overseas job over the phone seems to be working out fine I will still need to start soon working in my local job at the university and learning Spanish properly and a dozen other things - including getting out of the rent cycle and buying my own home as soon as possible...

BUT - having said all that - I am meeting some great people, I have a good life here with the woman I love and some really special and amazing friends and for me there is MUCH MORE to like than there is NOT to like :)

Back