The Kiss And Hug Greeting

mayra_seattle

Registered
I'm Mexican American, before moving here, I avoided all close contact, I rarely hugged anyone and much less greeted anyone with a kiss. Now, I do it all the time, out of respect for the culture,otherwise I'll get called a stuck up yanki. It's a mechanical thing to do now for me, I feel like I'll be getting a lot of weird stares when i go visit my family in January. Those that move back or visit family in the states, do you still greet everyone with a kiss or go back to the American ways?

In the deep South of the U.S., we tend to be demonstrative and affectionate, so with family and good friends, even rather casual friends, we usually greet with a hug or "air kiss." Very similar to here, except that here that can also extend to a mozo, remisero or a roomful of strangers, who will consider it an insult if you don't greet each with un abrazo. If you live in a more formal part of the U.S., you can experience the cold shoulder.

As Rodolfo says, when that happens, we don't worry about it.

Mexican-guamanian here. I used to never do the hugging/kissing thing that's prevalent in the guamanian heritage. It was always waves from a distance or smiles with raised eyebrows, except for my mom and dad (hugs and kiss required for Dad, hug for Mom). It was awkward getting used to the Argentine greeting for me, too. Now, yes, my family is a little thrown off by the air-kiss cheek-to-cheek. I still do it when I go back to see my family in the states. I can't decide if it's just easier for me to not switch or if I just like putting my siblings and their families in awkward positions when I see them; maybe both.

I've been here for 37 yerars now.I'm male and 73.The kissing and hugging of everyone present at a gathering gets a little tiresome after 15 years or so.Luckily,it was never down in formal business meetings.I am no longer married so I don't have an Argie family to greet anymore.I only do it here now with close friends I haven't seen in a while.When I'm in the U.S. I do the same.

I do it reluctantly because it is their culture and I am in their country.

It is popular to kiss people back home (Italy) but not so extensively as here, and we give two kiss starting with the left cheek, which leads to very awkward moments when I go home and I am still kissing the Argentine way (one kiss, using the right cheek... ) because it means you clash and end kissing people on the mouth.

I still find it gross to kiss my dermatologist, GP, and dentist. To me it looks like kissing the hospital desk together with another 30 (sick) people that same day. And I find it so lame when my husband's half-brother's friends come in and there is a queue of six 20-something kissing everybody in the room, including grandma and parents.

You simply don't kiss people "outside" your close sphere of friends, in my country. You kiss old friends, you kiss maybe new friends on social occasion to break the ice, but you don't kiss everybody you meet.
Lately, I have adopted the American way of saying "Hi" and saving hugs for real feel moments, such as when I meet someone very dear after a very long time, but that's it.

I like it :wub: Makes me feel human, almost loved. I read somewhere that 8 hugs a day are necessary for mental well-being, and it seems to work.

The chino in my neighbourhood sometimes has a little baby girl there when he's working at the cashier. He never lays her down. To make life easier, I bring my shopping, put it on the desk, take the baby from him while he's counting, then give him the baby back so I can pay. I know some people back home would frown upon it but I like it.

I love the kissing thing and actually it is one of the few customs here that I hope I never lose. But it can be tiring waiting your turn! I also have come to the conclusion that a kissing a cheek is probably more hygienic than hand shaking. Think about where hands may have been. But cheeks? Yes, ok, I can guess where some of you might go with this but it's not as frequent....

Back