The Kiss And Hug Greeting

Wherever possible, I avoid this kissing malarky, especially when flu or colds are in the air.
The father in law loves nothing better than planting a toilet plunging kiss on my cheek which I really dislike, so now I just extend my hand and frankly I don't care if they say 'Oh he's a Brit!'

Wherever possible, I avoid this kissing malarky, especially when flu or colds are in the air.
The father in law loves nothing better than planting a toilet plunging kiss on my cheek which I really dislike, so now I just extend my hand and frankly I don't care if they say 'Oh he's a Brit!'

Yet I've read that a full-on kiss is much more sanitary than shaking hands - and if you observe people, it's easy to believe. I'm all about the Adrian Monk strategy.

I spent 30 years in an Episcopal church choir in the South as one of the few straight men. I have also been involved in theater, so a a quick hug and kiss with some bearded fat guy is no biggie to me.
However if it makes you uncomfortable you can always say as I did when more was suggested: "That sounds very nice, but there are some things I just don't do." Just learn to say it very quickly in castellano while smiling!

Many argies have confronted me about why I don't follow their culture (the kissing, the castellano, drinking mate) if I'm in their country. I never questioned any of my argie friends in the states why they did the things they did or didn't. I just accepted them and enjoyed their different culture. I feel like they force things on you and have little to no acceptance for foreigners.

Empanada, one of the few food in Argentina that has some flavor, and you do not like it :)
Maybe you like it more on a plate, instead of on someone Argie man's beard ?

Hahaha, not a big fan of the cummin smell and long beard, long greasy hair combo.

Many argies have confronted me about why I don't follow their culture (the kissing, the castellano, drinking mate) if I'm in their country. I never questioned any of my argie friends in the states why they did the things they did or didn't. I just accepted them and enjoyed their different culture. I feel like they force things on you and have little to no acceptance for foreigners.

The language and kissing or mate are extremely different things. If you live in a country a long time and don't make an effort to learn the language that gets you a bad rep anywhere around the world (ie USA prime example "here we speak American").

Totally agree, Syngirl

The language and kissing or mate are extremely different things. If you live in a country a long time and don't make an effort to learn the language that gets you a bad rep anywhere around the world (ie USA prime example "here we speak American").

Learning the language is one thing, but snogging complete strangers is quite another.

Back