The produce in Argentina is bad. Why?

i find my local jumbo has decent stuff most of the time. i wish i lived closer to some small fruterias though for better selection and quality.

I would be interested to see the evidence for this from a reliable source. I can find plenty of sources including WHO that claim there is no link between glyphosate and cancer.

https://livelovefruit.com/glyphosat...RkrJklIKSZsJxJTT1fzIhoLhJUxDEomePx3Q0yxrMrB8U

For a few months, my local fruit & vegetable stand owner gives me all the produce I want without charge. I explained to her the difference between organic and regular produce. I try to limit what I accept from her, preferring to buy organic even though it costs more. I don't care. I don't want to eat food with Monsanto chemicals. It doesn't wash off. The chemicals stay in your body. I finally learned about organic a few years ago and buy it when it's available. The feria organica is closed for vacation in January, so I have to wait until February to buy from Tallo Verde. She gave me some kale today, which she doesn't sell to her customers. I make a salad everyday with it, but I'll go back to eating organic next month. I spend 600-800 pesos on organic produce in one day that lasts a week.

Last edited:
I would be interested to see the evidence for this from a reliable source. I can find plenty of sources including WHO that claim there is no link between glyphosate and cancer.

I guess you are being ironic here so, ha ha - very clever!

I'm sure you really know that the 2015 WHO report - to which I presume you refer - concluded that glyphosate was probably carcinogenic in humans. Just in case you weren't in irony mode, the report drew on the results of a wide range of earlier studies and is scientifically robust. It wouldn't be the first time that something most people had thought of as harmless turned out to be not so benign: think smoking, DDT, atomic bomb testing, Thalidomide etc etc.

As I understand it, several countries have banned it outright, others have withdrawn it from consumer sale and the EU continues to issue only short-term licences for its use. And as I'm sure you know, back in the USA, in 2018, a California court gave the manufacturers, Monsanto, two hundred and eighty-nine million reasons why they should reconsider the safety of their product.

I was hoping when I asked for evidence that glyphosate causes cancer you would direct me to a respected journal such as the Journal of the National Cancer Institute and recent articles such as this from November 2017.
Study finds no link between glyphosate use and cancer.
Instead you cite the evidence from a web page called 'live love fruit'. I know which I would find more reliable.

I like to reference studies, as well, but I try hard to think critically about what I read. Who wrote this? Logically, what does the title say? Why did they word it that way? And what do they want me to walk away concluding? Then I read.

The study says it is not linked to cancer but does it say it’s safe? No, that was not the reason for the study. They narrowed it down to only a few conclusions. Did they come to any other conclusions or assertions that need to be confirmed? Yes, they still need to confirm if it is linked to AML.

If anything, I would say this study sheds a light on links to cancer. There are also correlations between the use of Roundup and birth defects. That is something would consider that needs to be investigated for safety, as having an ability to cause birth defects is no small deal.

Most verdulerias sells cheap fruits at high prices, simple. If you go to the Central Market you can find the best quality for a low price.
Glifosato is used with soy not fruits.

yes the produce is shitting and being someone who cooks all the time that's the first thing i've noticed when i started shopping around for produce here in argentina. the reasons are simple, the retailers don't care about providing good customer service and shoppers don't boycott outlets with poor services in favor of better ones. retailers never store their produce properly, leave it out on the sun to rot, almost never cool their premises down to optimal temperatures and just mishandle everything, i saw many times how the verdulero boys squash overflowing boxes with tomatoes with more boxes on top, once things get wilted and half rotten they still push it to customers by mixing with fresher produce, by trying to hide it on the bottom of the bag, etc. This just goes to show how reckless and selfish the industry is and there is nothing you can do, the best thing is to be pushy just like them, go and check every tomato in your grocery bag and replace the ones that are too soft and make a nasty face when you do it, complain and criticize so that they see that you aren't going to pay for their low-quality product. just the other day i had to throw out half a maple (30 units) of eggs once i encountered a rotten egg when i was frying some eggs for breakfast, how did this happen? well, as it turns out they don't have an expiry date or any control on eggs when they sell them in the open and they keep them there until they all sell and mine was an old batch probably mixed with even an older unsold batch, so i went there and told the lady about my rotten eggs and how i want better quality and she laughed at me and told me that if i don't like her store then i should go elsewhere! talk about customer service. at another grocery store, the owner didn't let me replace the wilted carrots because he said that all the carrots are the same and he got angry with me, so i left the carrots on his counter and told him that i will never be back, he told me: "anda..." i could hear his employees laughing while i was walking away, can you call this customer service? in the matter of fact the only decent produce i found was at a local china where there is one lady with a tiny stand, she charges more but she has a fridge where she keeps some of the vegies and the temperature inside the building is always cool enough, that's where i shop now.

Back