The Science Behind It

So Stevia is not that artificial sugar thing they sell elsewhere in the world?
How come they talk about Stevia in Breaking Bad, did the Guaraníes move to Albuquerque?

You should add your comment to your own list of silly things people say.

Here is all you wanted to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

The short of it is that, no, Stevia is not the same as the artificial sweetener you see in every cafe in Buenos Aires.

The sweetener they have in most places in BA is the old, old, old generation stuff.. probably not veey different from sweet&low. It's not even like splenda, which is still bad (not as much). In the US Splenda became a thing for a while... but it turned out to be bad too (it's made from natural sugar. .. using chlorine), in the end it's not aspartame and people feel better about it. On the other hand stevia actually is mostly natural and it was mentioned already... it has been used in Brazil for a long time.

The sweetener they have in most places in BA is the old, old, old generation stuff.. probably not veey different from sweet&low. It's not even like splenda, which is still bad (not as much). In the US Splenda became a thing for a while... but it turned out to be bad too (it's made from natural sugar. .. using chlorine), in the end it's not aspartame and people feel better about it. On the other hand stevia actually is mostly natural and it was mentioned already... it has been used in Brazil for a long time.

Every place has theirs, but since this is a BAExpat forum I thought to limit this to Argentine. Besides, the science behind it should have the final word on them, not common beliefs.
In Italy they say Nutella is responsible for pimples, or chocolate, or salame. But butter, that's new to me.
Besides, I really think one should be ignorant and tactless to make comments about someone else' skin so lightly. I am in my 30's and I have an acne problem, clearly that is not because I like sweets, but because I have hormonal issues. I know there are treatments, but I also read about side effects and thanks, but no thanks. I'll live with my pimples.

But what could I explain to a person that comes out with such statement as "butter in cookies is the cause of pimples"? "Read Wikipedia, at least?"

I had acne problems in my 30s and it was because of whole milk products, e.g. butter. Skim milk is perfectly ok. But people differ. Certainly most people have no skin problems due to whole milk products. But I do. I was told by a very competent dermatologist to avoid whole milk products and many slip-ups on my part have confirmed his advice. Worth a try.

Bob

I'd like to collect here some weird ideas we heard from Argentinians. Those that instantly make your face turn into a WTF?! exp<b></b>ression, that leave you speechless, or that simply make it not worth the fight.

Mine so fare:
  • "You should use less butter in your cookies because that's why you have pimples." (hormones, anyone?)
  • "I use Stevia because it is healthier than sugar" (aspartame, ever heard?!)
  • "You shouldn't be having more than two eggs at once, or eat two bananas straight." (2014, here we come!)

Well, as an Italian I presume you'll be able to understand the Argentine fear of Golpe de Frio -- explain the science behind that!! My husband spouts the most ridiculous things in winter time -- to his Canadian wife! The golpe de frio is one that I just can't. I just... ugh.

Edit: In Italian it is apparently "cervicale"? Sounds like they go even farther in their diagnosis rather than just the Argentine "hit of cold (usually to the back)".... http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-15987082

Ah... no cervicale is slightly different than colpo d'aria? Please enlighten us Ron!

I'll give stevia a try, can it be used to cook? The sugar they sell here is less sweet than the one sold in Italy, I made cakes that were no sweet at all (recipes I made also in Italy).

As for dairy product and acne, I went to a couple of dermatologist and none talked about this. I have an appointment with an Argentine derm. next month, let's see what he says.

Well, as an Italian I presume you'll be able to understand the Argentine fear of Golpe de Frio -- explain the science behind that!! My husband spouts the most ridiculous things in winter time -- to his Canadian wife! The golpe de frio is one that I just can't. I just... ugh.

Edit: In Italian it is apparently "cervicale"? Sounds like they go even farther in their diagnosis rather than just the Argentine "hit of cold (usually to the back)".... http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-15987082

Ah... no cervicale is slightly different than colpo d'aria? Please enlighten us Ron!

Colpo di freddo, as simple as that! ;)
Although I am surprised to hear that it is so popular here, I saw many women walking in the street with their hair just washed.... that sure qualifies for a golpe de frio!

I had acne problems and they went away around when I was reaching my 30s, as my hormones died off. But a lot of people say that fat in the diet makes it worse (more toxins for your skin to process, and the skin, like kidneys, process toxins). Couldn´t hurt to cut back and see if it works.

I've had multiple Argentines tell me that Americans must be obese because we eat a large breakfast in the morning, often with (gasp!) eggs. Can't think of anything else specific to here. Every place has its odd beliefs.

In general, I'm always amused by this intense fear of the cold that occurs in countries where it doesn't get that cold. My husband is from a Caribbean climate that is hot and humid all year round. His parents' apartment doesn't even have hot water, because it's not necessary. But apparently, one a year, a ​bris​a comes through that gets everyone sick. The low temperatures there never dip below 80F/27C (and those are the low temps at, like, 4 a.m.), but once a year this breeze supposedly strikes everyone down with a horrible cold. In Madrid during the winter, my roommate was always horrified when I'd walk from my bedroom to the bathroom barefoot or in flip-flops. It was right across the hall, but she was convinced I'd get sick if I didn't wear socks during the winter at all times. I did get a nasty cold once, but I just refuse to believe it's because I didn't wear socks all the time in my own home.

Back