The WEATHER: What the H--- happened last night?

Napoleon

Registered
I don't know if anyone else was up last night about 3am, but wow! It seemed like a hurricane (maybe just a tropical storm) blew through. The rain was coming down in angles and was getting whipped across the corrugated roof across the street playing it like a xylophone.

Weather.com said that the wind was 45 kph (~28 mph) with gusts of 85 kph (~53 mph).

To me, it seemed like a tornado was passing through the neighborhood, because it didn't slowly build up like the hurricanes do on television. There's no way that a plane could have safely landed in that weather.

If anyone's seen a Spanish weather report this morning (and has understood it), please post their explanation.

gracias

Hit hard in the North end too!! Had to get up and close all the windows...they were making a terrible noise....wind from all directions...crazy!!

Just thankful for the cooler temps today...:)

Wow... I was up at 3am working and suddenly heard knocks on my window (we're on a 20th floor). Looked outside and there were hurracaine-like winds on our terrace! :eek: It was so strong the windows were shaking. It turned over everything on our terrace, and we lost some furniture covers as they flew away out onto the neighborhood. Luckily the plants survived.

Welcome to Buenos Aires! Every year there are 3-4-5 storms like this, they come from the south-east and cause an enormous racket. Trees knocked down, often serious hail, wind, and rain -- that floods in many of the lower parts of town.
Almost as often are the authorities in Capital Federal promising to do something about the flooding. Hah!
When I first arrived in BA (within weeks) one of these storms hit mid-afternoon and I found myself wading through hip-deep water in Flores (it wasn't even raining one hour before) and had to walk 10km home because no buses or subways were running.

According to the news this morning (channel 4) 140 trees were damaged across B.A. with damage to some cars and homes. I think (can't be sure) that there were 2 fatalities. It reminded me of the summer storm that passed through New York City in August.

They were expecting it because i read about it in Clarin online on Sunday or Monday.

It's so great! Now the weather is back to livable! i was able to walk to the supermercado without needing a shower afterwards earlier!

but for how long....

It was insane! I'm on the 21st floor & my apt is all floor to ceiling sliding doors/windows. i thought they were going to shatter from the wind (the latch on my bathroom window actually broke from the force of the wind). I walked out onto my balcony & I thought I was going to be blown off it was so strong. Pretty incredible.

Katser said:
They were expecting it because i read about it in Clarin online on Sunday or Monday.

It's so great! Now the weather is back to livable! i was able to walk to the supermercado without needing a shower afterwards earlier!

but for how long....
Tomorrow the temp is suppposed to get up to ~28C and then Thursday through Sunday (at least), the temps will be in the 30C+ range.

Oh, and I appreciate the "Welcome to BsAs" greetings further up the thread, but I've been here about 3 years and I've never seen anything that extreme here. Or in the Great Plains (a.k.a. "Tornado Alley") in the States. Last night was ridiculous.

Yeah, that was amazing. I had forgotten all about it until reading this post. Table and chairs blew all around my balcony too.

Back