The worst pizza in the world?

A question of taste? I guess....if you like plastic cheese, you'll be happy with pizza here! Yes, specialty shops - green grocers, butchers are better but I still find them inadequate. Vegetables, especially tomatoes, are horrible everywhere. Pork is invariably tough; lamb has an unpleasant taste. I don't care where you go - these meats just don't compare to what you can easily get in the US. I stick with lomo and some chicken (generally tough and flavorless) as the rest is so disappointing.

It saddens me that a country that has such a huge land supply and great climate could be so lacking in quality foods and at accessible prices . There is an attitude to just fill yourselves up with protein and sugars without the use of herbs, spices, flavours and above all quality that is affordable.

Sure you can eat well in Buenos Aires but at what price US 25 to 40 dollars . This is hardly cheap when you compare the incredible meals available worldwide for less than US $ 7 .

Food should never be the domain of the wealthy and quality and freshness should be guaranteed by government control if need be. I agree with the poster about the fruit juices in Argentina they are amongst the worst of the world .

For me the biggest sacrifice of living here is the food.

I used to resist buying imported food but I just can't stand the quality of a lot of the local products. Today I came back from the supermarket with the following imported items: olive oil and balsamic vinegar (Italy), 'Salsa Mexicana' (unfortunately 'mild' as that was all that is available - Argentines don't like spicy food), orange marmalade (France - can't stand the local stuff. Loaded with sugar with little to no fruit taste), Pepperidge Farm cookies from USA, Philadelphia Cream cheese (USA) etc. Everything was a lot more than it would have cost in the US - even the European products.

I think it all comes down to a matter of taste, and please, don't get me started with Pizza Hut and Dominos, "America's favorites".

I've lived in Chicago and found the "famous" Chicago pizza, frankly, horrible.(to MY taste)
You got to take 40 Mg of Omeprazole before to prevent a serious heartburn.(2 pounds of spicy tomato sauce in it)

I make my own pizzas, from scratch (dough included) and my own orange juice with fresh oranges; that's the only way to eat healthier (and cheaper), even in the US.

sergio said:
Pork is invariably tough; lamb has an unpleasant taste. I don't care where you go - these meats just don't compare to what you can easily get in the US...

It seems that you have never been to Panero, the BEST butcher in Buenos Aires.

http://www.fpanero.com.ar/

Not everything good is in Recoleta or Palermo.

It's a matter of adjusting your expectations, I think. I'm rarely disappointed by anything because I never expect it to be like anything else I've had.

I enjoy instant coffee but I don't think of it as or wish it were a brew substitute; it's just a different coffee drink. (I also make incredible instant coffee lattes when it's hot outside if you want the recipe!)

I like chop suey here because it's loaded with sprouts, and I like that it's not uncommon to order a chinese noodle dish and have them be homemade. It's nothing like Chinese food in the U.S., and I don't expect it to be.

And, I love the pizza here! A 12 peso Ugi's cheese pizza covered in oregano and aji is delicious. Many people have pointed out that Filo makes great pizza, and I agree.

Like anywhere else, Argentina has good and bad places to eat, and it's about finding what you like among those options. I choose not to eat Mexican food here because I don't like the Argentinean variety, but I don't blame them for it. It's just the way it is. Similarly, I don't eat beef in the U.S., for a lot of reasons; here, I eat beef several times a week.

Maybe if you all stop comparing one culture to the other (an irresistible pasttime I'm aware) you'll learn to appreciate what they have instead of wishing it were something you've had elsewhere.

Kikedeolivos, No I haven't been to that butcher. It may be great but the fact remains that every place I have gone in over a decade sells horrible pork, including the classiest restaurants. This is a metro area of 13 million. One good butcher is not enough.

sergio said:
...every place I have gone in over a decade sells horrible pork, including the classiest restaurants...

To me, classiest has nothing to do with GOOD food; not always more expensive means -IMHO- better.

I've been to Emerils Lagasse's Steakhouse in Las Vegas and found his beef absolutely tasteless.

You should make a trip to Panero. (Zona Norte, Olivos)

Yes Kikedeolivos, I should go to Olivos for pork and I should go to Tandil for cheese and Pergamino for beef.....Give me a break! In over a decade I've been all over Argentina and I haven't seen any significant difference in the quality of ingredients (granted fish is fresher on the coast and in the south) . By the 'classiest' restaurants I was referring to those considered the best by people who know food. Never having been to Las Vegas I can't comment on its steak houses. To be honest, it's never entered my mind that a tacky place like Las Vegas could be known for its food. Anyway, you may be right about the high quality of pork at Panero. I'll try to go there some day but the fact is I am never in Olivos and it is long trip. Isn't there a comparable butcher somewhere in town?

sergio said:
...To be honest, it's never entered my mind that a tacky place like Las Vegas could be known for its food.

Tacky? Absolutely.

In Argentinian I would say "GRASALAND"

I was forced to go there several times for business. I made a comment on Emeril's restaurant because his name is all over the place in the US and I was invited by a client who claimed that the restaurant was one of the top 3 in town.

I would change that place (and a lot of places I've been while in the US) for the market in Seattle - by the ocean - in a New York minute.

Back