The worst pizza in the world?

Ahhh whenever I go to the US, I miss Argentine pizza with tons of cheese, olives and very greasy, yum!

Just to chime in that I've had some great pizza nice here, including ones with a wholewheat base.

Funny thing about pizza too - the pizza in BA doesnt taste like the pizza I've had in NY which doesn't taste like the pizza I've had in Chicago which doesn't taste like the pizza I've had in Dublin which doesn't taste like the pizza I've had in Italy.

Fancy that - a big wide world with many varied tastes that can all be appreciated, who'd have thought?

But if you live in Buenos Aires, and all you can think about is how great Australian pizza is- well, maybe you should move back.
I saw that movie about australian pizza- and it sure doesnt make me want to plan a trip there any time soon to try it, though-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Pizza:_The_Movie

LOL Ries and you are not judgemental!!!! Im entitled to critisize my home city and the food in it and noone has the right to tell me to leave because of it.

My comments still stand there is little variety of food at fair prices that can compare to most cities in the world . The only food stands in the city serve choripan and choripan .

Ries, give Pericles a break! He has a right to comment on what he finds good and bad in Argentina. He lives here full time and he has had years to draw conclusions. Not liking the pizza is not much of a reason to pack up and return to Australia where the cuisine in recent years has really become varied and quite exciting (I can vouch for this based on a month in the country a few years ago). In general Pericles has more positive to say about Argentina than negative, so suggesting that he return to Australia strikes me as quite silly. As a general comment, I find that people who come here for a short time, say an annual visit of a month or so, have radically different views from those who live and work here full time. When you come with enough money to live, can afford to go out to eat frequently, do not have to deal with the difficulties of doing business here etc. your view tends to be more positive. Try living like a middle class Argentine and you will start to think differently.

I didn't have pizza, but I had a classic Argentine meal for Dia de la Madre.

We had overcooked pasta topped with just a hint of a tomato sauce (I think that it might have been made from tomatoes) and then chunks/pieces of beef in it. The pasta had only probably been cooked just twice as long as was called for, not 3 or 4 times. Still others had gnocchi with the sauce. If you like mushy globs of potato dough, then I'm sorry that you missed out.

And as mushy, bland, and overcooked as this food was, people (all Argentinos falta yo... is that right?) were commenting on how "rico" it was and the mom was telling everyone that they'll end up getting the family recipe. And the sad thing?...

The sad thing was that I kind of thought that it was pretty good. I really think that I'm losing touch with food that tastes good. I might have flavor overload if I ever make it back to France, Italy, or Spain. What has become of me?

:(

My tuppence for what it is worth; You wanta a good pizza? Go to Jumbo they will make it exactly as you want, cheep as chips, and only one disadvantage; You have to cook it yourself :D
It'll be fresh though, warm, and cooked exactly as you like it. (but only if you pay attention).:p

I think people are trying to compare American style pizza with Argentine pizza(more like what you get in Italy). They are two very different animals. I enjoy both. I have had bad pizza in Argentina but some that's pretty good.

If you live in Argentina you had better develop a taste for it as it's one of the 3 main food groups(i.e. meat, pasta, pizza).

The pizza in BA is cardboard, filled with salt, covered with yellow plastic and tastes like crap. But then again most of the food is pretty poor. And the famous .......beef, ha, well, I won't go there. Yet.

Napoleon said:
I didn't have pizza, but I had a classic Argentine meal for Dia de la Madre.

We had overcooked pasta topped with just a hint of a tomato sauce (I think that it might have been made from tomatoes) and then chunks/pieces of beef in it. The pasta had only probably been cooked just twice as long as was called for, not 3 or 4 times. Still others had gnocchi with the sauce. If you like mushy globs of potato dough, then I'm sorry that you missed out.

And as mushy, bland, and overcooked as this food was, people (all Argentinos falta yo... is that right?) were commenting on how "rico" it was and the mom was telling everyone that they'll end up getting the family recipe. And the sad thing?...

The sad thing was that I kind of thought that it was pretty good. I really think that I'm losing touch with food that tastes good. I might have flavor overload if I ever make it back to France, Italy, or Spain. What has become of me?

:(
LOL, well each family has their customs. My family never overcooked pasta, but hey, would you tell your mom on Mother´s day that her pasta is mushi??? lmao! No way, it was awesome and tasted like heaven ;)

Why do you expect to eat like you do in the US? I never expected to eat like at home when traveling, and that is part of the fun I think. I guess we do not have enough food chains to provide that standard flavor/presentation/price that you would expect in other countries, then again, why should it be like other countries? There are still some chains where you can get the exact same flavor you get back home: McDonalds, BurgerKing, Hooters, TGIFridays, CBC, etc.

Back