The worst pizza in the world?

Brazil has much worse pizza than anywhere I have been. In Rio they hand you a bottle of ketchup (or mustard) to pour over the cracker crust with a dusting of bland cheese melted on top. The locals seem to love it. Vile stuff.

My parents were just in BA for their first visit and the driver I had take them around took them to a restaurant called Campo dei Fiori (corner of San Josè y Venezuela). I've never been there (yet) but my mother raved about it and actually said it was the best pizza she had ever had. (She and Pops are both New Yorkers...but prefer a thin crust). Now I'm going to have to check it out.

I don't think Argentinian raw ingredients are bad. I mean: I lived in Northern Europe for over 7 years and you can't compare the fruits and vegetables you could get here with what you can get in places like the UK or Ireland. Most of their fruits come from either South Africa or the Netherlands: a tomato is usually tiny and as hard as a rock, no taste whatsoever, it could easily be mistaken for a piece of plastic. As far as the BA pizza goes I can't really say that it is good, it simply has nothing to do with a real pizza. Being born and raised in Italy I have a different concept of pizza: our pizza is thin, crispy, ingredients are fresh and they don't really load it with cheese or ham the way they do it here, also: they would never put low quality ham or mozzarella the way they do it here. I have to admit, though, that some pizzas are not too bad, but some others are too heavy and greasy, simply the topping is too much!

what is funny is how many threads there are on this forum are for people looking for bagels
'omg, i can't get my bagel and my latte macchiato!'

I do have to agree with the fact that they use next to no tomato sauce and that the cheese you find here are pretty bad in general. However, I do know a couple places which are decent. Cala Pizza is pretty decent. Then again, nothing worth writing home about.

ArgGuy89 said:
I do have to agree with the fact that they use next to no tomato sauce and that the cheese you find here are pretty bad in general. .

Well, two Argentinian friends of mine recently told me:
1) Italians invented the pizza, but we managed to make it better...
2) I don't like Italian mozzarella, the Argentinian one tastes much better...

:rolleyes:

It's just a question of tastes. In fact, I just can't understand why you say that pizza here is so bad. I've tried pizza in other countries and it seemed to me just as good as here. And I really think pizza in Argentina rules... but then again it's a question of tastes.

BTW, one thing that is distinctive here is the huge number of pizzerias that are "artesanales", just like heladerias. So you have a lot of options to choose from. Don't just stay with the two, three or four you've tried, there's many more to that. If you search enough you'll find many that are acceptable and above standard.

Same with medialunas and all that.

Cheers

PS: I'm a local.

My biggest complaint about the pizza here is that the slices are too friggin small. In New York City the slices are SO large you have to fold them in half. Also the sauce in New York pizza is sweet and you taste it over the cheese. Here it´s all cheese and I don´t know what kind of tomato sauce if any is being used. I personally like the verdura slices from Kentucky in Congreso on Rivadavia.

Back